Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trouble getting OBD Code

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trouble getting OBD Code

As the title states, I am having one hell of a time getting the code when my check engine light comes on.

Lets start at the beginning.

1994 K1500 Z71 5.7l 350 Automatic

Before the light started to come on it just idled a little rough, its got a misfire that I'm trying to trace down. The light never came on. it ran perfect except at idle and only after it warmed up. Running cold, it ran great. It wont pass inspection, with only a high HC at idle, everything else was perfect.

The light started to come on about a week back, here's what it does now.

When I jump in my truck and turn it on, it runs fine. Sometimes I can go 50+ miles before the light comes on, but when it does come on, the idle goes to crap and I lose alot of power. I've tried to get the code, but as soon as i turn the truck off, the code goes away. All I get is code 12, system normal. if I start the truck back up, it has no engine light and runs fine, with the mis of course, but when the light comes back on, its the same thing.

Here's what I've done to try and get it to pass inspection:

Catalytic converter - 250K miles, figured even if it didnt fix it, it was probably time
O2 sensor
plugs
wires
coil, cap, and rotor
PCV
oil change
air filter
rebuilt TBI

someone please help, I'm about to strap TNT to the truck and rid myself of the headache

Last edited by Mehthiro; March 3rd, 2014 at 3:58 PM.
Old May 20th, 2020, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mehthiro
As the title states, I am having one hell of a time getting the code when my check engine light comes on.

Lets start at the beginning.

1994 K1500 Z71 5.7l 350 Automatic

Before the light started to come on it just idled a little rough, its got a misfire that I'm trying to trace down. The light never came on. it ran perfect except at idle and only after it warmed up. Running cold, it ran great. It wont pass inspection, with only a high HC at idle, everything else was perfect.

The light started to come on about a week back, here's what it does now.

When I jump in my truck and turn it on, it runs fine. Sometimes I can go 50+ miles before the light comes on, but when it does come on, the idle goes to crap and I lose alot of power. I've tried to get the code, but as soon as i turn the truck off, the code goes away. All I get is code 12, system normal. if I start the truck back up, it has no engine light and runs fine, with the mis of course, but when the light comes back on, its the same thing.

Here's what I've done to try and get it to pass inspection:

Catalytic converter - 250K miles, figured even if it didnt fix it, it was probably time
O2 sensor
plugs
wires
coil, cap, and rotor
PCV
oil change
air filter
rebuilt TBI

someone please help, I'm about to strap TNT to the truck and rid myself of the headache
I had a very similar issue I found out the cause of mine was a broken coil bolt so running under 50 mph it was on top of the plug like it was suppose to be when I got over 50 I would have the same symptoms you described here i took my coils out to change the 2 bad ones I had when I found out that one of the 2 was broken so I had to have some one tap and dye and redrill as I dont know how to do all that or have the proper tools to do it i got it back within an hour and my problem went away so check your coil bolts make sure none are loose or broken