Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck Camper Question

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Camper Question

I just bought a 2006 Silverado 1500 and was curious about putting a truck camper on it. It is currently stock and the sticker in the glove compartment says that it is not designed for that. I have seen 1500's with the pop up style campers and was wondering if this is doable with one of the lighter models. I also would be towing a small boat (15' fiberglass unsure of the weight) and don't want to ruin the pickup. I don't mind tent camping but the wife has this crazy idea that now all of a sudden we have a truck, let's stick a camper on it! My fear is overloading it and breaking something. I don't mind upgrading shocks or whatever, but if it isn't in the cards, then that is the debate. Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2012, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

I have owned two 1/2 chevy's, if this truck is under warrenty I would discuss it with your local chevy service department. If not under warrenty, I would keep the camper a light weight one designed for 1/2 ton trucks, load up the boat and injoy. You didnot mention if your truck has the tow/hall package but I have had no issues with mine in the past.
Old February 14th, 2012, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought the truck used so it is under a 3000 mile 60 day warranty so no biggie there. It does have the towing package so I will start looking for a 1/2 ton light truck camper and enjoy this thing to the fullest. I am so glad to have a truck again! Any other input is appreciated. I wasn't sure if different shocks or springs were needed for this but it sounds like I may be good to go.
Old February 18th, 2012, 7:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many poptop campers that weigh less than 1000 lbs. dry and are designed for 1/2 ton pickups. Inside the glove box should be a sticker with the factory recommended max payload.

Also check the max load rating of your tires and it would not hurt to go to a local CAT scale and pay the $9 to have them weigh your truck. If your truck can take a payload of 1500 lbs. and the rear axle weight at the scales is 2000 lbs. then you can figure having 3500 lbs. in the rear and see if the two rear tires can each handle 1750 lbs. safely. Most D rated and all E rated will easily handle this amount of load.

Towing is something else again and you should be able to tow a much larger load than you can carry in the back. The total in the bed, and weight of passengers in the cab, add to the gross weight rating for the truck. The real question is stopping the truck quickly enough with the weight in the truck and the weigh of the trailer and boat. Check the manual for the maximum trailer load your truck is rated to handle. Trailer brakes help but I have not found them to be reliable on boat trailers where the axles are immersed in water.