Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

silverado: is it my truck or the programmer???

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2011, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation silverado: is it my truck or the programmer???

I currently drive a 1997 Silverado k1500 5.7L, I have a new Hypertech "Max Energy" programmer. I'm not happy with the performance, with the shift firmness and shift points set to performance it will drive alright but when I go to do a burnout or a full throttle launch it will shut itself down like there is traction control or torque management. The truck has 100,134 miles on it but 5,000 miles ago the engine was completely rebuilt and the transmission, rear end, gas tank, fuel pumps, fuel lines, distributor, spark plug wires, O2 sensors, and spark plugs have been replaced with OEM replacements. The only performance parts on it are a manifold back Magnaflow exhaust system and a Volant air intake. I am worried that its not the programmer and the truck has a problem and the programmer just highlighted the issue. A code reader dosen't show anything and I just had it to the local chevy dealership but they aren't too bright. Has anyone had these problems or have an idea whats going on? Also, if it is the programmer, can some one recommend a different programmer.
*I am only 16 so any advise is greatly appreciated*
Old July 18th, 2011, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Country_09 and others on here will say to sell your programmer and have a custom tune done by either Wheatley or Blackbear Performance...
I'm not sure if the programmer would cause these issues, but you might try changing the settings back to factory and seeing if the truck starts behaving like it used to.

Last edited by zm1040; July 18th, 2011 at 8:32 PM.
Old July 18th, 2011, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

I put it back to stock this morning and it feels like it did before the programmer. I dont think I want to get a costom tune because I have no intentions to leave it alone, I think next 3 purchases will be headers, mass air flow sensor, and a throttle body. When I put the stock tune back on I used the code reader again just to make sure I didn't break it but nothing came up again. Thanks for your input.
Old July 18th, 2011, 9:01 PM
CF Junior Member

My understanding is that they will usually adjust the tune when you change something (or can account for those changes and you can wait to install the tune until those mods are done), but for the same amount of money (although yes some wait in the mail), you'd get much bigger performance gains and wouldn't have to worry about your truck acting up.

I wish you luck with your programmer though! I'd try calling the customer support and seeing if it's supposed to act like that.