Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

truck purchase crisis, plz help

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck purchase crisis, plz help

Hi guys, Sorry I haven't been around much. New Baby!!!

Anyway, I need some realistic sobering help. I currently have a 08 crew cab silverado 4.8L 4x2 4 spd auto w 3.73 gears. I have recently purchased a 25' toy hauler that weighs 5600 lbs dry (probably close to 6500 -7000 wet). My truck pulls it at 55mph at about 2300 rpms with no problems on flat terrain. Going 60 or 65 the engine really doesn't like it and going up a causeway (We have those in Florida ), I drop down to 2nd and am running at 3000 rpms and my truck will maintain 45 mph. Since my truck is kinda underpowered, i really don't want to go out of state with it, so going camping in the blue ridge is out until we get a stronger truck. And no diesels please, WAY out of my budget.

Looking at getting another truck, preferably a 2010 5.3L w/ 6speed and 3.42 gears. Chevy says it can tow 9600 lbs (I have my doubts) but I am considering this set up due to the fuel mileage when empty as we take the truck on long family trips (planning one to RI in February).

Anyway, while looking, my local dealer is giving me a hell of a deal on a used 2008 Chevy Max LTZ crew cab 4X4 w/ 3.73 gears. This thing is absolutely loaded. Has everything i could ever beg of a truck. The 4x4 is a HUGE plus. It has the integrated trailer brake controller and even has memory seats (I really hate having to try and readjust my seats after my much smaller wife drives my truck). The deal this dealer is giving me is out of this world, i've checked. Not to mention all the towing capabilities this thing has (upgraded brakes, transmission, better rear axle - not sure on this one?, etc).

Now the down side, First it has a four speed tranny, not the 6 speed. So, the listed tow rating for this combination is 8400 lbs (not the 10500 that the dealer advised - you need the 4.10 gears for that and then the mileage would really be in the pooper). Second, the thing has just turned over 70k miles. I would have to finance the thing for 6 years (due to the new baby) to stay in my budget. I drive about 8k a year so the truck would have approximately 118k miles on it before I paid it off. Additionally, trying to purchase an extended warranty is out of this world!!! anywhere between $3k and $3900 for a 5 yr plan. Considering saving the money and praying for the best.

Since the tranny gear ratios are the same for both my 4.8L and the new (to me) truck (the tires size differences only make minor changes according to online calculators I've used), I would be running around 2700 rpms at 65 mph in either truck. I'm sure that 6.0L will be very thirsty at those rpms. I doubt that i will run in fourth gear (the overdrive gear) without blowing the tranny. I'm not sure what gear the six speeds stay at at those speeds, so I can't compare it.

So my question is, should I wait for a used 2010 5.3L bare bones 4x2 (that would be in my budget) or am I an idiot in not buying this truck? I'm concerned about fuel mileage both while traveling with and with out the camper. Currently my 4.8L gets 13 in city and 16 (approximately) on the highway (mostly 75 mph driving - welcome to Florida). I get about 9mph towing at 55mph and after the truck works it's way up to 65, I am getting 8 mph. But she really isn't happy going that fast, much better at 55mph so that is where i stay. Would really like to tow at 65mph (no faster) and like to get around 9-10 mph (especially with only a 26 gallon gas tank - it goes fast at 10 mpg ).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Eric
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That come with 4L80E tran? ? You'll get more HP out of the 5.3 don't worry on that I think you should buy it there's a few thing to help MPG wont be much but will help
Old May 31st, 2012, 1:02 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
That come with 4L80E tran? ? You'll get more HP out of the 5.3 don't worry on that I think you should buy it there's a few thing to help MPG wont be much but will help

Not sure if your telling me to wait for a low mileage, 5.3L w/ the 6 speed or buy the above mentioned truck.

I believe the 08 vortex max comes with the 4l65E which is the heavy duty version of the transmission in my current truck (4l60e).

The truck I'm looking at does have the hybrid 9.5" rear axle w/ disc brakes all the way around. The only down side is the 20" wheels. Can't find a/t tires for it in a 275/55r20.

Additionally, The price of the truck is just shy of $25k that includes tax, tag and title. Which probably accounts for a grand of the price, so I'm getting the truck for 24k. KBB retails the truck at 27,700. trade in is around what we have agreed upon (ie the 24k)
Old May 31st, 2012, 8:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well tell them your on fence get more taken off if they wont deal and make you happy with price then wait for what will
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

if your towing alot i would save and invest in a gas HD truck with the Allison. the 6.0, or i guess now the 6.2, is the same motor as the 5.3L. The 5.3L is an LS3 and the 6.0 is an LS2. and when it comes to trans, you cant beat the Allison, it's by far the strongest trans out there for towing. they are probably pricey considering u have a new born but it would be worth it to save up a healthy down on top of your trade in. Also, if you are completely gung hoe with chevy that awesome, but chack the Ford Superduty with the V10, ****ty gas mileage but vertually a bullet proof motor, and they can haul almost anything with ease. Just sayin lol
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mike_D
Also, if you are completely gung hoe with chevy that awesome, but chack the Ford Superduty with the V10, ****ty gas mileage but vertually a bullet proof motor, and they can haul almost anything with ease. Just sayin lol
Actually, I just traded my 2001 V10 F250 and gas mileage was not bad at all towing or not. I got 17 mpg on the highway empty running hard, and averaged 10 to 11 towing my box nosed travel trailer (@14,500 GCVW on average) to every state west of the mississippi and most east!

As for bullet proof... far from it! Ford has a known metallurgy problem on the exhaust manifold bolts. They rust and break off prematurely on V10s (and some V8s). If they've been replaced, all is good; otherwise check them out carefully before you buy!

Also, the early V10s are mated with crappy transmissions (2001 and early 2002). The computer controls (sensors) for the tranny malfunction (but not outside the limits for OBD) as it ages and causes intermittent erratic transmission behavior.

I went round and round for 3 years with Ford on these issues (see mine and other posts on the Superduty Forum!!!

Roger
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Active Member

Well I would love a 250 with the allision. But, would never b able to afford one. This seems like it would do what Im asking. Was hoping to hear from some one with a similar truck. Thanks guys for ur imputs.
Old May 31st, 2012, 2:09 PM
New User

the trans in the older superduties are E4OD's right...
Old May 31st, 2012, 4:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4r100 transmissions in the 99-03 super duties were junk, the 5r110's (03.5-10) and the new 6r140(11+) are the best ones they have. the new 6r140 is a bulletproof trans
Old May 31st, 2012, 7:30 PM
New User

if your looking for a truck with good gas mileage go with a 4x2, but I know for a fact you can't get a chevy with a 5.3 liter with 3.73 gears, I've checked everywhere, can't even order one with those gears, I have a left over 07 model 5.3 liter extended cab z71 4x4 with 3.43 gear ratio, it sucks for pulling my contractor trailer, 16ftr, if you want good pulling power and don't mind have way decent mileage look for a 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter, I priced out a 2012 crew cab 4x4 z71 with the vortec package and power everything it came to 35k, but I think I might upgrade to a ford f250 to pull my trailer, bigger gears,brakes etc,

Quick Reply: truck purchase crisis, plz help