Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck won't turn off/key stuck

Old September 5th, 2010, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't turn off/key stuck

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado. We just got home right now and tried to turn off the truck and they key won't turn! The key is stuck in the on position. My husband had to open up the steering column to use the ignition switch to turn it off, however the battery still has power running to the truck because the key is in the on position. My husband also had to unhook the battery to keep it from draining. Please help! How do we get the key to turn back to the off position?
Old September 5th, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malicen
I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado. We just got home right now and tried to turn off the truck and they key won't turn! The key is stuck in the on position. My husband had to open up the steering column to use the ignition switch to turn it off, however the battery still has power running to the truck because the key is in the on position. My husband also had to unhook the battery to keep it from draining. Please help! How do we get the key to turn back to the off position?
i really dont know about this issue because it has not happened to me but my suggestion would be to go with a new ignition.
Old September 6th, 2010, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 1991 Silverado, and I had this same problem some years back. This going to sound silly, but put the vehicle in neutral and try gently rocking it forward and backward a bit. This let mine go once when I first had this problem.

Bottom line is, the ignition is going bad and you need to replace it. I replaced mine, and it has worked fine ever since. Only thing is I miss having the matching door and ignition keys. Dunno if yours just has the one key or not, but mine has separate keys. I guess if you have to replace the ignition too, you'll soon have two keys too weither you did before or not!

Replace it as soon as possible, because even if it unsticks, and works for a while, it IS going to happen again and get worse too. Take this advice from the voice of experience.
Old September 6th, 2010, 8:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my moms voyager had that problem not releasing the key.
you had to rock the steering wheel back and forth a buch of times
while wiggling the key to get the key to release.

Also try the above suggestion about messing with the gear shift lever.

good luck!
Old April 10th, 2011, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

I've just had the same problem with my 1988 Chevy Silverado 2500. In pulling out of my driveway in reverse I sort of noticed the shifting (automatic) was a bit stiff. At the end of the driveway, now in the street, I could not move the shift out of Reverse. Totally stuck. Slightly later it did shift and I moved back into the driveway. Putting it in park, the key would NOT turn to the off position. I waited a while and moved the shift through all gears.
Still, the switch would not turn off. Finally I pulled the fuse from the fusebox for the ignition and disconnected the negative on the battery.
This being Sunday, I've got a day or more to search for a fix. I'm a novice at auto mechanics.
An additonal thought... seems a few weeks ago I noticed the windshield wippers would be slow to turn off. Something tells me this may all be related to the steering column. Ugh!
Old January 6th, 2024, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Could be a couple of things. I'd remove the bottom of the dash and remove the steel plate, then on the right side (with the parking brake set) check to see if both the shift linkage and the shift interlock solenoid are hooked up to the shifter. Both linkages are pop-on to a ball from the shifter linkage. If your parking brake is set and your engine is off, (I'd also disconnect the battery) you can move the shifter in and out of gear while looking to the right side of the steering column under the dash to locate the shifter linkage. In the end, I would bet that you have a faulty "Shift Interlock Solenoid" or one of the linkages has popped off the shifter linkage.