Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

True or false. ..

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry True or false. ..

Silverado 6 cylinder truck. .. Bought new 2004. Great truck. .. Couple of minor issues in it's history. Check engine light is on again after replacing o2 censor a year ago. Is it possible to fix the problem?

The state of texas will not inspect the truck otherwise.

I was told that in this model. .. It's not possible to fix. Especially without replacing everything except the title.

Love my truck. .. . ..
Any feedback would be fantastic. ..
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Auto Zone and they have a device that can 'reset' your CEL. Some of them will let you use it to just check the code (diagnostic) and they are not supposed to let you do the "reset" on the truck, but other store personnel might let you do it while they 'turn their back' for a second. If that doesn't work, consider a piece of black electrical tape placed over the instrument panel in front of that little light.

I drove my Nissan Sentra with the "Service Engine Soon" light on for a year and a half before I had it fixed when I had a bunch of other stuff done.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by edwaybid
I was told that in this model. .. It's not possible to fix. Especially without replacing everything except the title.

Love my truck. .. . ..
Any feedback would be fantastic. ..
It may be an impossible fix for the person who said that...who is most likely is a retard. Take it to someone qualified.

post the code.
Old January 19th, 2014, 1:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

edwaybid Welcome to the forum...
there can be several causes of the failure you are seeing, but just about all can be fixed... if you O2 sensor is out again it could be due to poor wiring, or a cheap aftermarket sensor... the problem could also be a cat going bad....
Get it into a qualified shop, they should be able to give you a diagnosis and cost estimate....
If you can, get the codes read and post them here...
Old January 19th, 2014, 2:02 PM
CF Active Member

+1 on erasing the code and that way you can get your truck inspected and then fix the problem when you can. Scan tools are fairly easy to come by.
Old January 19th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by adam86107
+1 on erasing the code and that way you can get your truck inspected and then fix the problem when you can. Scan tools are fairly easy to come by.

to pass any state inspection, all I/M monitors must run and pass. Erasing the code will set the failed monitor to incomplete status. The inspection station cannot pass this. The problem must be fixed so the monitor can run and pass its self tests. Then and only then, will it pass a state inspection.
Old January 20th, 2014, 2:15 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
to pass any state inspection, all I/M monitors must run and pass. Erasing the code will set the failed monitor to incomplete status. The inspection station cannot pass this. The problem must be fixed so the monitor can run and pass its self tests. Then and only then, will it pass a state inspection.
I've actually seen this method used many times. They don't see any CEL light everything else is in proper working order and they issue a new state inspection sticker.
Old January 20th, 2014, 6:52 AM
Super Moderator

I can't comment on businesses that don't do the tests properly. Ones that do however, would make you come back when the monitor has run and passed.
I'm sure there are business that do just that; in it for the cash grab instead of doing it properly and legally. Easy way to lose your business licence. Just because the mil is cleared, it doesn't hide anything...that's why they are suppose to check that the monitors have run to completion and passed.

Last edited by tech2; January 20th, 2014 at 7:05 AM.
Old January 20th, 2014, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

when my check engine light came I had all codes failure?? A friend of mine took out fuse box and found Mice had chewed all the wire coating off off creating a short, he said it was common in chevy gm trucks
Old January 20th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

...stored for a long time or parked in a field/barn?

Quick Reply: True or false. ..