Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trying to fix my Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2013, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to fix my Air Conditioning

Hi all,

Im trying to finally fix my AC. It hasnt worked for a year or 2, but i finally looked at it and noticed that the belt was gone, and the tensioner was seized. I replaced both yesterday, despite the belt being VERY difficult to get on. the compressor now spins, and the clutch engages, but i still get no cold air. I dont know much about AC systems so it could be something simple i was missing. i checked the freon and notcied this fluctuating pressure......

silveradoAC_zps5518f7ab.mp4 Video by tonyvisone | Photobucket

thanks for any help in advance!
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM
CF Junior Member

sorry, forgot to mention that its a late 99 model silverado 1500 5.3 4WD
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my area, Pep Boys will do a free A/C system check. Might be worth looking into.
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Screg
Sounds like the compressor is engaged, hopefully the fan motor is blowing, if you are'nt getting any cold air from ducts then you must be out of refrigerant, or filter dryer is clogged. If you have set gages for type of refrigerant you are using such 134A check for approximately 20 degrees higher than outdoor temperature on your high side gage. In other words if it is 90 degrees outside then you should have a reading somewhere around 110 degrees on the temperature scale on the high pressure side gage! Anything less than that means you need to add some refrigerant 134-A. Make sure u put the refrigerant in as a gas.(refrigerant bottle in upright position) Also make sure you purg hoses on gage set before putting any refrigerant in system by losening hose at gage set after hooking into high and low side. Also on low side of gage temperature should not go below freezing (36 degrees is a good temperature) on low side gage. If you get lower reading than this your filter drier maybe in need of replacement with the numbers we have been talking.
thank you screg...

my fan is blowing. its not hot air, but not at all cold. did you see the video i posted of the refrigerant pressure? i think that was the low side? not really sure where to go from here as i have the amount on that side that is required according to the bottle i bought.
Old July 25th, 2013, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

You might go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of 134 refrigerant with a gauge on the connection hose. The can will give the lbs for ambient pressure. Sounds like your AC is on the low side but not enough to disengage the low side switch.

Last edited by missouriboy1; July 25th, 2013 at 3:49 PM. Reason: left a word out.
Old July 25th, 2013, 8:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Your low on freon. pressure goes up and engages compressor clutch the compressor starts pumping and goes off on low pressure, repeat

Add freon till running compressor stays in the green. Did you evacuate the system. What's the charge for your vehicle? Did you fix the leak?

Last edited by edac; July 25th, 2013 at 8:21 PM.
Old July 26th, 2013, 8:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by missouriboy1
You might go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of 134 refrigerant with a gauge on the connection hose. The can will give the lbs for ambient pressure. Sounds like your AC is on the low side but not enough to disengage the low side switch.
i did that. watch the video in the first post
Old July 26th, 2013, 8:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by edac
Your low on freon. pressure goes up and engages compressor clutch the compressor starts pumping and goes off on low pressure, repeat

Add freon till running compressor stays in the green. Did you evacuate the system. What's the charge for your vehicle? Did you fix the leak?
sounds legit. i will try it. it will put me in the red at times however. but i am willing to try anything at this point....

i never had a leak, but the ac didnt work for 2 summers and i recently realized that the ac belt was gone and the tensioner was frozen. put new ones on.
Old July 26th, 2013, 1:33 PM
CF Junior Member

with the compressor clutch off, your gauge will be in the red.
Old July 26th, 2013, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default airconditioner repair

Originally Posted by tonyvisone
thank you screg...

my fan is blowing. its not hot air, but not at all cold. did you see the video i posted of the refrigerant pressure? i think that was the low side? not really sure where to go from here as i have the amount on that side that is required according to the bottle i bought.
Tony, Just watched your video, looks like every time compressor comes on the refrig. gage wants to shoot right to the red zone, Too Much pressure, it's cutting off on high pressure protection switch. Blead off some pressure and see if compressor keeps running if not like I said before, sound like your filter drier is completely or almost stopped up with internal contaminates. That's what it's for. Sounds like it would be a good time to replace it. Make sure if decide to do that you should have a someone to recover the refrig. Good luck, Screg

Quick Reply: Trying to fix my Air Conditioning