Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

tuners/chips

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2012, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuners/chips

looking to get a little more horse power and mpg out of my 6.0 and im wondering what would be a good tuner/chip. i have a 2002 silverado LS. im about to buy a volant cold air intake and w2as also wondering if anyone has bought it and how they liked it. thanks
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volant kit is a good one. Built very well and is closed, that's the best part. Contact Justin at blackbearperformance or Charlie at gowheatley.com
Old June 19th, 2012, 8:02 PM
CF Active Member

Just FYI, I actually got to drive and tow with my used 08 max tow silverado 6.0l yesterday. Bone stock, got 8 mph towing a 8k trailer at 65 mph. Unloaded, got 15 mpg going 75 mph. I have no plans on putting an intake on as the truck is loud enough as is. I'm hoping Justin can do something with the fuel mileage. Darn 4 speeds

Old June 20th, 2012, 8:32 AM
Super Moderator

Put an intake on it, they don't make it that much louder. Especially if you have an exhaust already. I've done it with my dads 08 vmax and he could tell the added power was there, but you can't here anything. And Justin will hook you up good, just done expect a whole lot of mpg increase cause with a tune, your right foot gets heavier
Old June 20th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Active Member

Now heres the thing, with the chips i can adjust them and set it back to stock (or so i read). Is that correct? Both wheatly and blackbear are expensive as the chips so i wanna make sure igot all the right info and dont go wastig money ya kno. I apperciate the help tho
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah you can return it back to stock with a chip, but the gains are like 5hp and no ho gain with a chip or tuner. A actual custom tune though, is like 20-25 hp and 2-3 mpg.

So it's spend money on somethin that won't do anything for you, but can return back to stock, or spend the money on somethin that will benefit you a whole lot more, but won't be able to return to stock as quickly. I do think that with a shipped out tune though, you have a stock PCM/ECM to return it to stock...not sure on that though
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
CF Active Member

When I purchased the truck used, it came with duals. Reverbed so badly while towing camper, me, my wife and the salesman all had headaches after 5 minutes. returned it to stock. Much nicer. has a nice rumble to it and it's perfect. Don't want to change the volume. I had a CAI on my 99 ranger (3.0L). that thing was much louder with just the CAI. I may get a CAI from a local parts store so I can return it if I don't like it. But will probably get with Justin around xmas to try his tune first. I wonder if he can give me a tune for MPGs and another for when I'm towing. Or maybe he can adjust it for the different rpm ranges like you could do with the old cams adjustment (would have great fuel economy below say 2k rpms, after that the thing turned into a beast). Actually, would like to increase the fuel economy a little bit while towing while maintaining the same towing capabilities. HMMMM, things to ask Justin :-)
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:11 PM
Super Moderator

he can do 2 types of tunes for you at one time. One while normal drivin, so this way you can get the best mpg, and the other for when you push tow/haul, that will unleash his real tunin capabilities. Just ask him some questions and he'll do exactly what you want.
Old June 21st, 2012, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

The factory set up is basically pretty close to the best set up for mileage. You can get more horsepower with a chip but if you don't know what you are doing you can also ruin some expensive engine parts. THe best deal going is the tuneups by several of the shop style tuneup experts that do things like changing air filter systems and exhausts along with a retune.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

So now the question is , wheatly or black bear tune? Wheatlys site looks a little sketchy and iv heard great things about justins work, so is there really a difference between thr two tunes?