Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tunning the 6.5TD

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2013, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunning the 6.5TD

HI, i have a 1990 chevy truck that i have bulid a complete new 6,5 TD. Every thing is new!! i bought a 1999 block, a new crankshaft with new rod and pistons from pennisular diesel with 18,1 in comp. the crankshaft, rod, pistons and the flywheel was balanced. i bought new cylinder head from clearwater they was the best to use because they where reinforced.( that is what i was told). i bought new fuel nozzel that was called 300hk from penninsular diesel and a also bought the turbo from penninsular diesel. this setup should give 300 hk but i feel it is as "slow" it was in the beginning. i have a mechanical pump that is adjusted so the car is smoking black if i hit the rev liner. On the orginal 6.5TD, the turbo charged 22 psi( i welded the arm on the turbo to always give full pressure) and now with the new tubro that is bigger i do get 15-16psi and i do not have any turbo lag i get the turbo pressure at once i hit the throttel. so i took the old turbo and put it back on and it was no good, it only charged 15-16 psi to.

So i wander if any of you peopol in this forum have done the same as i and tune the 6.5TD? and have did you tune theirs 6.5TD. i was thinking of baying a Holset hx 35 and see i if i get som more hk out with that turbo? i sorry about the bad english!