Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Default upper control arm bushings

I need to replace these bushings, is there a special tool needed, or is this job a PITA, or do you just but new ones loaded?
Any recommendations?
this is my 1995 std. cab 2500 4x4
Thanks , Jack
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM
CF Junior Member

J-
I'm asking the same question, what did you do? I am replacing the UCA Bushings and ball joints while I'm their. Loaded arms come with ball joints.

dc
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

They have to be pressed in as far as I know...if you have to replace both ball joints and bushings, I'd just assume to get another UCA with em already in there
Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 AM
CF Active Member
1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500
My Garage

swinging_nutz

replacing the bushings.... a floor jack will be your best friend. other than deep sockets, tahts all you need. you will have to lower and raise the control arm through out the job, so that everything will fit in place
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
CF Junior Member

New to me '95 K2500. More play than I have ever seen in passenger UCA. Received bushings, ball joints are allready bolt in. I'll be going the press route this time.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM
CF Active Member

I'm getting ready to do a complete front end rebuild on my 96 ( has 259K ) on the original parts and it's getting real loose. It is my understanding that a press works better than any other method for removing and replacing UCB's and LCB's bot I have used a large vise to do this job. Not easy but doable. Also soak the bushings with PB Blaster or Deep Creep for several days before-hand and it will help the old bushings to come apart easier. Just my 2 cents. You'll also need a BFH.

Charlie
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Was able to take the UCA 45 minutes to a press. What a great device. Used various sockets to press bushings out. To press in, cut 2" tail pipe about 1". Took two to compete. Tail pipe went over the outside plate and caught the inner plate.

Large vise would do it if you have enough sockets, tubes etc. Since brother had press, not a issue. Saved $$.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Tags
03, 1995, 2500, arm, bushing, bushings, change, chevy, control, frame, pick, replace, replacement, silverado, upper