Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vibration in front end. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Old July 25th, 2010, 12:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in front end. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey, I have a 1994 chevy K1500 extended cab sportside. My problem began when my younger brother accidentally backed my truck into a pond. Water was past all 4 tires slightly (285/r16). Truck did not cut off and was able to put it in 4 wheel drive and get out of the pond. However, ever since the incident, my frontend has had a dull vibration. It is speed specific and generally starts at speeds 50 mph plus. The motor is running good, truck stops great. I have drove down the interstate 4 times and the problem is the same. It's just this annoying vibration sound. It is not felt thru the steering column and is HEARD more than felt. If anything is moving, it is the dash of the truck that is shaking due to vibrations coming from the front of the truck. I replaced the gear oil and the front differential and that did not solve the problem. I even greased up the front end and that did not do anything. Any suggestions on what could be wrong please help! I am lost on trying to figure out the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The truck has had the symptoms for 3 days now. Truck was in pond 7/20/10.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

The truck also has a automatic transmission with a automatic 4x4 shifter in the floorboard. There are no locking hubs. Gears in truck are 3.73's.
Old July 25th, 2010, 2:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doubt it is the problem, but u should change the diff fluid if it went past the breather tubes on them, i cant think of anything a pond would do to it, unless he purposly left out a few points of the story
Old July 25th, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

could b upper or lower ball joints or the hubs my 96 has blown both hubs as a result of water and mud the hub wheel baring assembly is only simi sealed and has no grease port
Old July 25th, 2010, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I will check the bearings. No points left out about what happened. Truck basically was backed down the ramp in a pond enough where water was over all four tires. Thank God it is 4 wheel drive. Did not hit any stumps, rocks, ditches or anything. The truck did not immediately start making the vibrations coming from the front end. It drove home from the pond fine except for the brakes wet from being submerged. I let it sit for a day because i had to clean the interior of the truck. Got in the day after letting it sit and it started vibrating starting at 50 mph and vibrations increase slightly as speed increases. Truck has no loss of power or acceleration.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Check for water in driveshaft. There is a small home in the front of it. I had same problem.
Old June 24th, 2012, 1:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Could be your axle shafts. I just broke mine just from hitting a bump in the rode. The wheel bearings in it brake and vibrates
Old March 14th, 2022, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by doubleD
The truck also has a automatic transmission with a automatic 4x4 shifter in the floorboard. There are no locking hubs. Gears in truck are 3.73's.
Did you ever find the cause I have the EXACT same problem please help