Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

Is vibration problem only on 4wd trucks?

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2013, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is vibration problem only on 4wd trucks?

Hi All,
I just bought a leftover 2012 Silverado 4.8L long bed regular cab 4wd. The truck does have some vibration, but it seems like it really is flat spotted tires at this point. The dealer road force tested them, tells me the rears are slightly out of spec, and says they cant replace the tires until i give them 500 miles to wear in.
I originally wanted a base model 2wd with the locking rear diff, but ended up getting this one because the price was right, 4.8 & 4wd, and power options.
After reading all the posts here and on other sites about how this seems to be a chronic issue with these 4wd trucks, I'm thinking of trying to get them to swap me back to the 2wd model I originally wanted.
I've owned 2wd chevys all of my life (going back to my first-a 1972 C10), always bought them with high miles and ran 'em till they rotted out, and they have always been good to me. I never had a locking rear diff, so that would do me fine. I really like the new one, dont mind the stiff ride, kind of like it, and wouldnt mind keeping it if I knew it would not develop the vibration issue.
So my basic question - anybody out there have a 2wd that shakes at various speeds, or know if they do it too?

Last edited by PeteC327; March 30th, 2013 at 7:35 AM.
Old March 30th, 2013, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

It is not as big of a problem as a person would believe by reading the posts on this and a few other forums. I visit four Silverado/Chevy truck forums and yes, there are threads on three of them about vibration. However, most of the long threads have about 10 people who post all the time, and about 20 more who jump in with one or two posts.

In some cases, some of the posters between sites are the same. So, figure that forums are a place for people to come to find answers, complain, or just hang out; however on threads like the vibration they are primarily there to complain or hopefully, to find answers.

Now compare this number against the total number of Chevy trucks sold over this same period!

Being a retired GM service engineer, I have a lot of friends who have silverados, I have one, and not one person I personally know, or my own truck have a vibration issue.

Was there a problem at one time with mounts? Yes. Is there still a problem with some having vibration issues? Yes, but the numbers, compared to actual number of vehicles sold is minimal.

If you have a vehicle that has been sitting in the same spot for quite a while, with typical GM factory tires, the flat spots are a reasonable assumption. However, flat spots usually go away after driving after the tire gets hot. If not, the tires may have been permanently flatted, which can happen.

The reason the dealer is waiting 500 miles is to prevent them from paying for the tires vs. getting GM to pay for them.

A dealer is paid x-number of dollars per month to move around every vehicle at least once every two-weeks, to start and charge the batteries at least once ever two-weeks. Most do not do it. If the vehicle is sold and if the battery or tires are replaced in the first 500 miles, GM will deny the claim assuming the dealer did not do their job and keep the vehicle in running/driving condition. Thus the customer is the person who ends up getting screwed because the dealer was too lazy, stupid or just did not care, but still collected the money to do the job.

Best thing to do is take it in, get the dealer to give you an actual service sheet saying to wait 500 miles, then take it in after 500 miles and have them start the diagnosis. Chances are, tire replacement will fix the problem; however, if it doesn't, keep a paper trail and check your state lemon laws.

Chances are you will not have a problem, but there is that slight chance you will....
Old March 30th, 2013, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Thank you f5fstop!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly and with so much info! It is especially good to hear from one with an inside view and info.
I looked back through the posts and found as you pointed out; many repeat posts from the same individuals, and many posts are responses, not actual complaints. 25 pages of complaints seems overwhelming at first.
I just bought the truck, sprung for a brand new vehicle only for the second time in my life at age 54, and panicked that I had bought a problem vehicle.
It does feel better after they balanced the tires for the second time, and isolating the rear tires failing the road force test feels correct, it is coming from the back, and it does feel like flat spots rather than a shimmy.
Having put a few more miles on it and feeling it out, i think that because the frame is so much stiffened from the previous generation, and I have HD shocks as part of the trailering package, road irregularities are amplified much more than on previous generations (my old one was a 99) or in other trucks. I actually like the stiff ride, but I can see how many would be put off. It is not my main vehicle, so I wont be driving it most of the time. If it was my daily driver I know the stiff suspension would bug me eventually.
Thanks for the inside info regarding the 500 mile requirement too. I was worried that they might be just putting me off.
Also, the truck has a date of mfg 3/2012, and they took it off the showroom floor for me to test drive showing 5 miles on the odometer. Safe to say it was probably sitting there for 9 months anyway. Maybe they rolled it around a bit, probably not.
Anyway, I feel much better about the truck after cooling down a bit, re-evaluating, and your reply came at the perfect time. My concerns are much diminished. Huge thanks!

Pete

Last edited by PeteC327; March 30th, 2013 at 6:46 PM.