Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 1500 won't start. Or even fire I think.

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 1500 won't start. Or even fire I think.

Title says most of it. Cranks well, I can smell gas after a bit, but no love on actually starting up or even a half decent Ohhh almost moment. Fuel pump is most definitely running.

It's had previous trouble with being a hard starter after its sat for a few days. ie, crank for 15-20 seconds and then it would fire up. That devolved into being a hard starter if it was raining and hadn't been driven a fair amount. It rained all weekend. And I didn't really go anywhere. You see where this is going don't you? Sunday night, took a quick trip... hard start. Monday morning... absolutely nothing.

Seems like it has to be something wet related... but in the limited time and access I had to look, everything looked dry. Wiggled the plug wires and the like. A thorough cursing/threatening/pleading/praying session had no effect either.

Any advice?
Old January 27th, 2010, 6:14 AM
CF Beginner

Hosed it down pretty liberally with starter fluid last night. Nary a fire. So I'm guessing no spark.

That means either the cap has water in it, the ignition, or the coil has shat. Sound reasonable? Or the ecm I suppose. But I'm pretending like that could never ever happen.

Last edited by roscowgo; January 27th, 2010 at 6:22 AM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Just to be extra safe, i would check the plug wires, and the intake. also like you said it doesn't sound like your getting spark so replace the plugs and see what happens. that woudl be my first move.
Old January 27th, 2010, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

I believe it to be a no fire to any cylinder situation. wires/cap are fairly new. After beating my brains out looking for forums about hard starting chevys, I think it's probably the distributor. But i'm going to test for spark if I ever get home before 0:darkthirty. will be picking up a fuel pressure gauge to make sure the also pretty new fuel pump hasn't shat the bed. Multimeter for looking at the coil too.