Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Wanting to trade f150 for 2500 diesel! HELP

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2012, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to trade f150 for 2500 diesel! HELP

Hey guys, this is my first post here... I currently own a 2003 F150 with 33" kumho road venture mt's, HIDs, and a few other small upgrades. Well.... Due to low compression, I am getting roughly 10-11 mpg, I am going to college full time and work 35 hours a week and live in the city, so I seriously can't afford this much gas. I am 19 so my parents are still helping with truck payments (have had my f150 for a year or so) but I am wanting to swap to a diesel to help on the gas price and from what I've heard, the chevy 2500 is the most durable, maintenance wise that is and I need to stick with a truck due to my job and out of personal preference. They are willing to let me trade trucks if I can prove to them that it is worth it. I know it is, but I need to show them some real proof, I have looked up other forums but wanted to see what everyone here thought of your own trucks? Thanks guys.

Taylor
Old January 13th, 2012, 3:52 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

first of all, that diesel will run about 7k extra, and if you don't tow or haul anything diesels aren't worth it anymore, the epa has killed the mileage on those with the charcoal exhaust filter that is on those, you want good mileage, go back to stock tires or better yet get an ecoboost, stay away form the diesels,
Old January 13th, 2012, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

I'm looking to by used, I am looking into 2001-2004 chevy 2500s, not HDs, if I had the money I would be buying an ecoboost... But I don't, the diesels I have been looking around at have quite a few miles but are in my rather low price range. I am just wanting to get opinions from actually chevy owners.
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by taylor_allen92
I'm looking to by used, I am looking into 2001-2004 chevy 2500s, not HDs, if I had the money I would be buying an ecoboost... But I don't, the diesels I have been looking around at have quite a few miles but are in my rather low price range. I am just wanting to get opinions from actually chevy owners.
The additional cost of the diesels will take 60-80-thousand miles to recover when looking at cost of fuel.

Take the lift and 33s off your F150 and you might get 14-16.
Old January 14th, 2012, 3:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others said, take the lift off and downgrade tires, mpg should go up then. But a deisel only comes in a HD, if you want a non-HD you'd be lookin at a 6.0 v8 which will get 13 on a good day
Old January 18th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better to put the money into your current truck's engine and change out your tires. A valve job and new head gasket may be all your engine needs and smaller and lighter tires with less aggressive tread will maximize you mpg.

Large tires may look cool but they kill gas mileage with the extra weight and the taller gearing. Your tires are probably costing you 2mpg in and of themselves. With your truck that means paying 20% more for gas to have these tires for show.

At best with a diesel you will be paying more for each gallon of fuel and getting 15mpg around town. It would take tens of thousands of miles to be dollars ahead with a new truck and that ignores the very real potential problem if the diesel engine needs to be repaired while you are in school. Not unusual to have to spend $4K or more on injectors and other repairs.