Weak brakes on 2001 Silverado - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Weak brakes on 2001 Silverado

CF Beginner

September 1st, 2009, 7:14 PM   #1  
Weak brakes on 2001 Silverado

I have owned my 2001 Silverado (5.3l, Ext. Cab, short bed, Z71) for a few years now. It has always been very weak on braking. My biggest concern is that I cannot even get the ABS to kick in (unless on ice). I have new rotors and pads, had the brake system flushed and bled. One of my tests was driving it home one night when it was raining, on a straight stretch of road (no other traffic around) I stood on the brakes. From 25mph the truck just slowed to a stop. The ABS never made a peep. This tells me the hydraulic pressure is not enough to grab the rotors and lock up the tires. The dealer says this is normal, but my friend also has a 2001 Silverado - non Z71, if he lays on the brakes the ABS kicks in and there is a significant difference in stopping power. Could this be a problem with the master cylinder? I have also heard that air in the ABS unit could be a problem - but I had the system bled at the dealer. I refuse to accept that the brakes just naturally suck.

Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Orange County, CA

September 1st, 2009, 7:28 PM   #2  
Thats a good one, lets see what the service techs here have to say.

Welcome the the forum!

CF Active Member

Munden Kansas

September 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3  
is your tire and wheel combo stock?

Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Bowie, MD

September 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4  
Posted By: lukemoore646 is your tire and wheel combo stock?
If it is stock then you need to have the hydraulic system pressure checked.

Super Moderator

September 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #5  
I've got the 4-wheel disc brakes, but I'll stack my 2500HD's braking ability up to the smallest import you can find. Where I live they have to be that good, or you couldn't survive in the traffic. There's always some cupcake in a Honda or Subaru jammin' on his brakes right in front of you here.

MDTAHOE's right again, I'd check the hydraulics. I've noticed a lot of brake shops don't bother bleeding the brakes when they're done the brake job.{God knows why.}

Power bleeding comes to mind. My girlfriend's 01-1500-4X4 stops on a dime.

CF Beginner

September 2nd, 2009, 8:45 PM   #6  
Thanks all,

I am using stock wheels and tire size. It sounds like I should get the hydraulic pressure checked out next. It's too bad right now, aside from the brakes it rides like a Cadillac.
To be continued...

CF Active Member

Munden Kansas

September 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #7  
sounds like air somewhere to me, wider tires are harder to skid because they lay down a bigger footprint but thats not the case, how is the peddal, is it spongy or firm right at the top

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors