Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Weird rattling/grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird rattling/grinding noise?

Ok so I have an 02 silverado reg cab that i just bought. It runs well just that there is a weird rattling or almost grinding noise coming from under the truck sometimes it sounds like its coming from towards the transmission other times sounds like it might be from just under the bed. Its quite when its in park just when im just accelerating that it acts up and makes the noise. Anyone got any ideas?
Old October 19th, 2009, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been several post on the forum about this problem, I believe it is the rear slip yoke.
Old October 19th, 2009, 4:03 PM
CF Active Member

you may have a cracked flex plate..GM plates are not that good. been hearing of others with same issue..

good luck
Old October 19th, 2009, 5:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

While you're under the truck checkin' out the rag joints, have a gander at the U-joints, too.

Might just be one of your skid plates vibrating, if a couple of the bolts have worked themselves loose.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

All those sound like possibilities. Like I said it only happens when I accelerate from a full stop or when im breaking. Going to take it to a shop sometime soon to see exactly what it is, seeing as how apart from changing oil I don't know much about these trucks. I hope it's nothing too expensive. apart from this one noise the truck is a complete joy to drive.

EDIT:
Ok so I have been reading on the whole rear yoke thing and that might just be my problem I don't really have a clunk in the steering wheel but the squawk from acceleration from full stop and breaking sounds like it might be it. Anybody know how long it would take to install for a mechanic?

Last edited by newtruckguy; October 19th, 2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: New info.
Old October 20th, 2009, 7:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I don't know what the book would say for flat rate, but it shouldn't take more than an hour.
Old October 21st, 2009, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I had a mechanic look at the truck turns out it was the exhaust system. It is old and rattles he said a new exhaust should take care of the noise. Anybody got any ideas where I can get a new oem exhaust kind of cheap. Need everything from the cats back to the muffler.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

OK quick update. I had the old stock muffler replace with a magnaflow muffler. She runs like a dream now. Even got a bit of rumble with just the muffler on there . Very happy at this point with the truck. Thanks to everyone that helped me out.