Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What could be eating my batteries in my '85?

Old May 21st, 2009, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be eating my batteries in my '85?

Hi guys! I've had a problem over the last several years and I'd like to see if I can get some help with where to begin to fix it.

First off, my truck is not driven daily. I might drive it a couple of times a month here and there but for the most part it's parked. Currently my radio is not functional because of electrical issues. It did work, and it's aftermarket. I don't believe there is a problem with the radio itself, I believe it's a problem with the truck. But at the moment regardless of driving the truck or letting it sit, it seems to constantly go through batteries. I replaced the alternator since that started happening and that hasn't solved it. I thought that maybe the little factory clock was too strong to constantly be drawing on the battery so I removed the fuse that controls the clock, horn and dome light, they're all the same fuse. So right now, I don't know what else could be constantly trying to draw power from my battery.

Just the other day I did notice however a wire drooping down in the engine bay that has started to hang too low and melted to the rear of the driver's side valve cover. The wire itself is green, and it has me thinking that it could be a reason either for the entire problem or maybe even my radio. I have not tried following the wire to see where it goes but I plan to do that while I'm off work this weekend.

Does anyone here know where I can start looking to try to get the radio working again, and maybe finding out where my power draw is coming from so that O'reilly doesn't stop including warranties on their batteries I buy? Thanks!

Note: With the radio, it was having issues when I still had the stock radio. It would cut out and turn off, but I could kinda hit the surrounding metal around the radio and sometimes it would come back on. Once the aftermarket cd player was installed it worked for a long time, and now it's doing the same thing except that it doesn't come on at all anymore. Thank you all for your time!
Old May 21st, 2009, 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put test light between negative and cable ans see if it shines, with everything turned off and key removed. if it does, you have a draw somewhere. which you must have it, otherwise, you have a grade 3 spatial warp engine that needs to be refilled at the closest quark station. sorry.. it's either draw - or no draw.

anyhow, if the light shines - start pulling fuses one at a time. whichever fuse kills the light - that's the little green man eating your electricity.

hmmm... you ever tested your charging voltage? if it's way tooo much, it can kill batteries very fast. should be around 14V. not 9, not 18.
Old May 21st, 2009, 5:20 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Yeah for some reason the batteries in my graphing calculator (TI-84nspire) die literally every 2 weeks. On my old calculator they would last years. Its quite ridiculous to go through 3 AAA's every couple weeks.

Anyways, I know that this hasn't helped at all and proabably made you mad, but I just felt like saying something as your posting title reminded me of my predicament
Old May 21st, 2009, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tips. Now I know where to at least start to figure out the problem. Are the test lights more than a few bucks?

Any idea how to discover where my problem is with the radio wiring?
Old May 21st, 2009, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with fuses. Then if it is not truning on take a voltometer and check the red wire(keeps your radios memory) This should always have power, The yellow wire (power) And the black wire is your ground i just ran a new ground wire to my battery! You can also just try wiring a new yellow wire from your fuse box to your cd player, and a new ground wire from either your frame or - post on your battery to your cd player. Someone correct me if I am wrong! Hope this helps!