Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

What is my max towing capacity for my 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2011, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my max towing capacity for my 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4?

I just bought a new 2011 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with a short beed and I would like to know how much I can tow.

The specs are:
4.8L V8 with a rear axle of 3.42
Hydra-matic 4 Speed Automatic
Heavy-duty Handling/Trailering Suspension package
Trailering Package
Heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential
Old December 15th, 2011, 9:04 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The maximum towing capacity for a 2011 Silverado 1500 Series 4WD Crew Cab Short Box with a 4.8L V8 engine and 3.42 axle ratio is 5,500 pounds.

A few things to take into consideration before towing:

Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle, or other parts could be damaged.

During the first 500 miles that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Important considerations that have to do with weight:

- Weight of the trailer
- Weight of the trailer tongue
- Weight on the vehicle's tires
- Weight of the trailering combination

For your reference, this information is also available on page 9-95 of your owner's manual.

A digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...1silverado.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

thank you.....but I am just as curious why is that the WT and LT have a higher towing capacity vs my LS model with trailering package? Is it not the same motor and tranny? All the models share the same payload capacity of 1,670lbs but the trailering capacity for the WT and LT are well above 9,000lbs..... Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to understand where the difference is.
Old December 16th, 2011, 8:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The WT and LT models have higher towing capacities because they have optional 5.3L and 6.2L engines. The LS model is only available with the 4.8L engine.

I hope that helps!

If you have any additional questions, I am happy to help. Please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 10th, 2012, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Great thank you that helps. So the truck can tow 5,500lbs.......is there any way to increase that? such as installing a transmission cooling package?
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

well if u wanted to increase it you could do some of the following but some may require more than one to see effect and may void warenty
A. replace the stock air tube for a free flowing tube and add a high flow air filter
B. aftermarket exhaust(free flowing not flowmaster)
C.might have to change breaks for more stoping power
D. change your re end gears to 3.73 or 4.10 depending on your need
E. aftermarket cooling package if your truck doesnt already have a cooler of some sort
F. a custom tune such as black bear not one of those hand held programer bs
G. change out the leafs and shock to somthing more heavy duty

if i had to recomend the main thing to get is the tune all these upgrades wont work together right if there not tuned
these updates could void warenty and cost around 3k$ for everything and time to install but if all this is done id say you would increase a couple thousand pounds in towing might even see some mpg increase
and like they said dont do anything till you got about 15000miles so the motor is broke in

if this just doesnt sound apealing then get a bigger truck or bigger motor
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Although the above mentioned improvements would provide better performance while towing, as far as the numbers go you would still onyl be warrantied and insured up to 5500lbs. You still have to do all the math regarding tongue weight vs. payload and hitch rating and Gross vehicle Weight rating + trailer weight vs. combined GVWR.