Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

what transmission do I get for the 4x4 1988

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2012, 5:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what transmission do I get for the 4x4 1988

I have a K1500 with 350 4x4. What is the name(s) of the transmission(s) I need to look for replacing the one I have. I want to shop around for the best prices for the quality. Any info would be appreciated.
Old March 19th, 2012, 6:04 PM
CF Junior Member

You have a 700r4 if it is an automatic.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:58 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Gundog
You have a 700r4 if it is an automatic.
ok thanks man, thats the only one I should be looking for? I found one on local craigs list for $325 used.

I think mines about shot, I took it on a 800 mile trip up and down mountains towing a ton or so. now its shifting fine but not disengaging the gear when I come to a stop, causing the truck to stall out when I stop.
Old March 20th, 2012, 5:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jess,

Save yourself a bunch of greif. On the left side (driver's) of the transmission, there is an electrical plug. Unplug this guy and take 'er for a spin.

If the problem disappears, You've probably just got a bad TC solenoid. Very easy and cheap repair by removing the pan.

Allan
Old March 20th, 2012, 9:56 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Jess,

Save yourself a bunch of greif. On the left side (driver's) of the transmission, there is an electrical plug. Unplug this guy and take 'er for a spin.

If the problem disappears, You've probably just got a bad TC solenoid. Very easy and cheap repair by removing the pan.

Allan
I pulled the only plug I seen on the driver side, which was up on top of the driverside of the trans, think it had 2 or 3 wires. It still gets to sputtering and dieing out when I'm driving to slow or stopping, I cant tell if its another problem now because it ran soo poorly for a while with that issue, if pulling the plug helped or not. I pulled half the spark plugs and as I figured half of them were black and wet, I sprayed them all with carb cleaner and scraped some of the black off (they were brand new plugs less then 100 miles ago).
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
CF Active Member

Im about to just walk and ride bicycle untill I can afford a new trans mission and install. I called autozone, they quoted me at ~$1500 for the 700r4 trans and torque converter. It comes to ~$2000 with the converter and trans core deposit. I think I can probably get one from a junk yard for $250-$400, but then its the problem of buying someone elses junk with no warrentee. Any suggestions on where else to find one ?
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Okay,

Save your money. There is nothing in the transmission that is causing your problem. This is an engine issue.

Allan
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:26 AM
CF Active Member

I put a new rotor, distributor cap, plug wires, plugs, new oil, put carborator cleaner on it and in the gas. What'd be next, take it to the shop and have them milk me for a month?
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Jess,

It makes absolutely no sense to stand back and just blindly throw parts at your truck hoping that something will "cure" it. All that does is cost you lots of cash on un-needed repairs.

Take it to someone who is competent and can repair it correctly.

I can't hear your truck run, but just from your description can tell you that the problem lies in *EITHER* the EGR system, the fuel pump/regulator or the oxygen sensor.

Let someone work on it who can get into that computer and see what's going on, for goodness sake.

Allan
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the pro-tip Allen

Quick Reply: what transmission do I get for the 4x4 1988