Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2012, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hey all. I had posted before about an issue with truck not wanting to start. We have a new issue. 96 2500 6.5L with almost 261,000 on it. I took it and had a starting and charging test run on it yesterday because something is draining the batteries. I replaced the fuel pump relay and things had seemed to be better with the first problem but now I have a bigger one. I apologize if this gets long but I am not sure what to do now.

Truck was turning over slow like running on low batteries. Had the batteries tested on friday and they are fine. Took it yesterday and had them check other things to find out why the batteries are "draining". Again, batteries test fine, alternator is fine, glow plugs are fine, it passed all the tests. Twice. They had two different techs check everything. So was told to take it to a place that specializes in electrical issues. I had it at Sears.

Go out to leave and it started for about 30 seconds and died. Would not restart. Went back in and they tried to boost it off a battery, didn't work. Decided to wait and try again periodically thinking it had gotten warmed up (previous issue). They didn't know what to do. Ironic being broke down at a garage, no?

During the week the batteries either charged fine or were high on the gauge. Yesterday it wouldn't even make it halfway. It did eventually start with someone boosting it from their van. Ran home with a low charge. Today it charged fine. I talked to my friend last night that I bought the truck from and learned somethings.

1. He has replaced the PMD and the pump twice since he bought it in 2000.
2. He has replaced the alternator and the starter.

He suggested that it might be time to trade it off.

So here is my questions.

What do you guys think I am looking at for an issue here? Could it be the PMD again?
He told me that the tranny has never been gone thru nor the transfer case. He has never done any interior work on the engine. Is it worth keeping it and fixing or is it time to part with it?

Again, sorry for the length. Just really not sure where to go. Thanks!
Old February 1st, 2012, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Fuel System Driver - FSD

this article might help unless when he replaced the PMD he already relocated it.

Last edited by thonyyang; February 1st, 2012 at 1:21 AM.
Old February 1st, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much! I had decided I will just move it and keep the truck. This confirms my decision!
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not saying it's the pmd for sure though, that was just something i wanted to point out cause it seemed like it could be the pmd
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Lol no worries. That is actually what I had thought and what a couple others have suggested. It has been replaced twice already by the previous owner and it is having the same symptoms according to him. I guess the first time it only had issues when it was raining. lol Thanks again!