Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Whats a good cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2012, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good cold air intake?

So I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado with the 4.8L V8 and im lookin to add a bit of power and fuel economy, so im thinking a cold air intake might give me some. ive found 3 different ones, K&N 57-3050 for $215.00, a Volant 151536 for $239.00, or a Spectre 9900 for $149.99. i like the price of the Spectre and i have heard that its the same as the K&N except you dont get the name of K&N. Not sure about the Volant. any ideas on which one is the best? thanks
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock box plus airaid MIT tube. 120.00 I think and actually produces better results than a full intake
Old August 29th, 2012, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
Stock box plus airaid MIT tube. 120.00 I think and actually produces better results than a full intake
Any idea how much difference it will make in performance and or fuel mileage
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

My 2007 has the OEM Silverado Performance Intake Kit. It sends massive air and the exhaust rumble is deep and mean. It makes the 6.0L sound like a 454. This unit is more expensive than the brands you mentioned. It uses a dry fabric filter which is easy to vacuum. I'm still using the original filter after 5 years. Performance wise, it seems a bit stronger.

I have had K&N like everybody else. It destroyed my Corvette MAF with that gunky oil (even though K&N denies the problem). That mistake came to about $500 in damages and weeks of crappy performance.

Old August 29th, 2012, 4:17 PM
Super Moderator

I think it was around 10 HP and 10 torque...other were around the 6-7 HP range. Small gains but every bit helps
Old August 29th, 2012, 5:00 PM
CF Active Member

I have the K&N FIPK kit on my 04 6.0L. Performance gains are not noticeable but adds alot of underhood noise under medium to heavy throttle. At first you may confuse the noise as a performance gain because you can hear it therefore your mind tells your butt that it should be able to feel it, but after the thrill of a new "performance" part wears off the only thing your gonna notice in the seat of your pants is a lighter wallet. Gas mileage stayed pretty much the same. One positive tho is it does make the exhaust sound tougher, but for less money you could change the muffler. A little more and you could get a cat back system. For the record I did not add an exhaust with the CAI. Combine the two and it could be a whole different outcome. If you insist on doing it, follow country's advice and go as cheap as you can with bits and pieces as opposed to a whole kit.
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:58 PM
CF Active Member

the stock system is really nice, you could modify the stock one with getting a non ribbed rigid rubber hose/pipe, or metal tube to replace the ribbed rubber/plastic hose... besides that just get a high performance filter
Old August 31st, 2012, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

I recently bought a 2003 Silverado. The previous owner put a throttle body spacer in, which I have read are worthless, but it wasn't a waste of my money. I have thought about putting on a Airaid MIT but was concerned it would just mess up the MAF sensor causing more fuel to be dumped in due to more air. I have read some people say this with newer models but didn't know for sure.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

It won't mess the mass air flow up, unless you have an oiled filter and you over oil it. The oil messes up the maf and that's when real problems occur
Old August 31st, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Active Member

Unless you have E-fans, I don't think you will have the clearance to get a CIA kit on there with a throttle body spacer. I'm not even sure you could trim the shroud back far enough to clear without hitting the fan blades. Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Whats a good cold air intake?