Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wheel assembly came off at 60mph

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheel assembly came off at 60mph

hey guys just wanted to share what happened to me yesterday and see if its happened to anyone...as far as ive read i can only find one other person on here with this experience.
so i put 35" toyo mud terrains on my 02 silverado and i drove to colorado last week and on the way back i noticed the alignment was off. so i took it to the shop i bought the tires from yesterday 4/1/13 and got the free alignment and tire rotation. as i was driving home i was going 60 mph down a 3 lane road and i was in the middle lane. all of a sudden it felt like the front left tire blew out...the truck slowed down and started pulling to the left. i mashed the pedal and it straightened back out, but when i left of the pedal again it started to drift to the hard left again. i thought i had a flat so i decided to pull over and see whats up....as soon as i hit the brake pedal the truck dropped down to the ground and sparks were flying and i looked over and saw my tire flying next to me about 10 feet in the air. the tire took off, bounced over 2 cars, hit a stop sign, took some guys chain link fence out and went through his trailer and ended up in his living room. (trailer park was right next to the road) i had no brakes considering my brake line was ripped and all the fluid came out. so i was skidding down the road and hit the median...(luckily it was only a curb!) then bounced off and finally came to a stop in the turn lane.

has this happened to anyone else? or anything remotely close to it? sorry for the long story just wanted to explain the best i can.
Attached Thumbnails wheel assembly came off at 60mph-20130401_160052.jpg   wheel assembly came off at 60mph-20130401_161452.jpg   wheel assembly came off at 60mph-20130401_181602.jpg   wheel assembly came off at 60mph-20130401_160106.jpg  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 6:55 AM
CF Pro Member

So now you have a set of new tires that you can't use, a snapped axle and multiple lawsuits. Not bad for one day. The lawyers are gonna have a picnic with this one.

Only way this could have been any worse is if the knuckle had broke instead of the axle; could have possibly taken your life too.

Allan
Old April 3rd, 2013, 9:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wheel bearing fell apart
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I had my lug nuts come off. also 35 " on my old burb. It started shaking violently and I pulled over straight away from going 65 . only 2 lugnuts were still in. The others snapped straight off....luck to say the least
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

This is a problem where the wheels were not torqued properly, any time you take your wheels off you should make sure to re-torque the wheels after 50-80 miles of putting that back on
Old April 10th, 2013, 3:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the lug nuts are still attached to the hub

whatever tensions the wheel bearing in the sealed bearing assebly let go. Sometimes it won't give indications of noise as the bearing is still good. The ones that make no noise and have play are scary. I've seen on one occasion this type of bearing have no play one day and loose the next week.

Was the abs light on before it let go?
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rexninja14
This is a problem where the wheels were not torqued properly, any time you take your wheels off you should make sure to re-torque the wheels after 50-80 miles of putting that back on
no. it doesnt have anything to do with how the wheels were torqued. They were torqued down to specs. as you can see the rotor is still attached to the wheel making your point invalid. the wheel bearing gave out. not the lug nuts or studs.
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the lug nuts are still attached to the hub

whatever tensions the wheel bearing in the sealed bearing assebly let go. Sometimes it won't give indications of noise as the bearing is still good. The ones that make no noise and have play are scary. I've seen on one occasion this type of bearing have no play one day and loose the next week.

Was the abs light on before it let go?
no, the abs light was never on. but from reading other threads on this topic, i heard the wheel bearing start to go out for the past six months. it sounded like everytime the tire made a rotation it would make a sqeaking/clicking noise. when it started though i was concerned so i took it to a shop and they told me it was the brakes that were making that noise so i ignored it, then my tire fell off lmao
Old April 19th, 2021, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Whatever happend?

Originally Posted by zakass771
hey guys just wanted to share what happened to me yesterday and see if its happened to anyone...as far as ive read i can only find one other person on here with this experience.
so i put 35" toyo mud terrains on my 02 silverado and i drove to colorado last week and on the way back i noticed the alignment was off. so i took it to the shop i bought the tires from yesterday 4/1/13 and got the free alignment and tire rotation. as i was driving home i was going 60 mph down a 3 lane road and i was in the middle lane. all of a sudden it felt like the front left tire blew out...the truck slowed down and started pulling to the left. i mashed the pedal and it straightened back out, but when i left of the pedal again it started to drift to the hard left again. i thought i had a flat so i decided to pull over and see whats up....as soon as i hit the brake pedal the truck dropped down to the ground and sparks were flying and i looked over and saw my tire flying next to me about 10 feet in the air. the tire took off, bounced over 2 cars, hit a stop sign, took some guys chain link fence out and went through his trailer and ended up in his living room. (trailer park was right next to the road) i had no brakes considering my brake line was ripped and all the fluid came out. so i was skidding down the road and hit the median...(luckily it was only a curb!) then bounced off and finally came to a stop in the turn lane.

has this happened to anyone else? or anything remotely close to it? sorry for the long story just wanted to explain the best i can.
what ever happened?
This happened to me as well but two time within two weeks. I have called diff companies but no one will accept blame, filed complaint with NASO, went to advance oriley auto zone an napa no one could place the part number to a source. So it cost me about 1200$ and they tried total my truck out. Has not a thing do with torque there is actually a recall on certain models as well as shorts in the resistor wire. On the hub the inner retainer hub seperates and it causes separation of the tire, caliper, pads, breaks the line, and the tire rods, mine even dented the side fender it hit so hard. My hub completely fell off on passenger like yours and driver locked up/ tilted in an could not go forward at all or itd get worse, and as it started make a loud screeching sound never made once before along with no abs light ever engaged, it also just started smoking like crazy, the bearings were shaped into squares instead round. I thaught was a seized caliper but I can tell anyone this my vehical has regular maintenance done constantly so had nothing to do with lack of upkeep, Chevrolet even

Bearings squared off and shredded down when staryed seperate

Sorry for other recalls couldnt seem them ckearly but i have had 3 others happpen on my 2004 chevy 4.3 liter 1500 v6 silverado 2x

Recall but not honored!
has a recall but chevy would not honor or fix it.

Bearings

Last edited by Corey Gustin; April 19th, 2021 at 8:21 PM. Reason: More info
Old April 26th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I agree this is not a maintenance issue. A suspension check should be performed at minimum once a year and ideally every oil change. Why, to find loose parts b4 they fail. Even without suspension checks; most cases(but not all)...the driver will get a clue.....abs light, you will hear a growl, squeak , the steering will be off-center.

Most quick lube shops and home oil changers fail to do a suspension check.

#2 don't buy cheap replacement bearings. If you get a $50 bearing you will be changing it again in one year.

Last edited by tech2; April 26th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: wheel assembly came off at 60mph