Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

When servicing front brakes, is the single T30 Torx screw necessary?

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2015, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When servicing front brakes, is the single T30 Torx screw necessary?

I just replaced rotors and pads on my 2010 Silverado (78,000 mi). On the 1st side I did, I found the T30 to be rusted to the rotor, no way to get it out. Heat, impact, lubrication, patience - nothing worked. So I drilled it out, removed the rotor, and was able to remove the remaining piece very easily. Being a Sunday, I had no access to said T30 screw, so I used a lug nut to hold the rotor in place to reattach the caliper and pads. Once done with that, removed the lug nut, put the wheel on and went to the other side. On side 2 (drivers side), the T30 screw came out pretty easily, but I didn't replace it, so I would have a sample of the screw I needed for the other side. Do I need it? It only seems to hold the rotor in place until the wheel is on. Once the wheel is properly torqued, the job of that single screw is worthless...right?! Just want to see how many of you roll around without it. I have been for 100+ miles, and all is well.

PS. Ordered Centric pads and rotors from tirerack.com. Never had better service in my life. Great brake setup, quiet, affordable. Not the cheapest crap my dealer can find to charge me top bucks! Good stuff.
Old September 18th, 2015, 1:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are referring to the small screw that holds the rotor in place near the hub center, no it's not functionally necessary that I am aware of, other than to keep the rotor secured when all the lug nuts are removed. There is should also be another threaded hole on the rotor that has no matching hole in the hub, this hole is used with that screw/bolt to help release the rotor from the hub assembly if its rusted/seized on the hub assembly.

If it were me, I would replace it at the next tire rotation....
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

its for assembly line purposes ...you do not need it. best way to get pff stuck ones is to hit the rotors hat with a hammer next to where the screw is. this forces the rotor back releasing the tension on the screw