Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

why don't it fire

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why don't it fire

i have a gmc k1500 5.7. cylinders 1-3-5-7 have fire, and 2-4-6-8, do not! what the hell, and why.
Old May 21st, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

When you are testing 2,4,6,8 you are using a different ground area,I believe that is your issue. It is also possible that the routing of the plug has caused them to burn. try switching out the wires for new ones. Good luck.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default fire but no start

1993 gms k1500 5.7 timing is correct, wires are correct, fire in all wires, blue fire from coil, all fuses are good, 2 grounds on the motor. all sensors are new, battery is new, tbi is rebuilt and both spray. this is a complete rebuild from bottom to top. the code reader pulled no codes. The truck did start after rebuild, it ran for about 20 min. but now it rotates and fires and it tries, but it just won't start. So I threw money at it and replaced cap, rotor, wires, coil and plugs, and ign. module. It does have a deep back fire, but not a loud backfire like 180 out. I checked timing again and it's still dead on. I am really open to suggestion.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:56 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's clearify.

Do you mean that there is no 'spark' on the right bank or that it just won't 'hit' on any of the right bank cylinders?

Allan
Old May 24th, 2012, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

I have spark in all the wires. the motor just rotates and tries to start but it just won't.
Old May 24th, 2012, 5:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay,

It's really an art to adjust new 'empty' lifters. Now that they are full of oil, just betcha that they are too darned tight and they are holding the valves open.

Back the right bank lifters off a half a turn and see if it starts and runs. If so, get 'er warmed up good and re-adjust all.

Allan
Old May 24th, 2012, 9:56 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Okay,

It's really an art to adjust new 'empty' lifters. Now that they are full of oil, just betcha that they are too darned tight and they are holding the valves open.

Back the right bank lifters off a half a turn and see if it starts and runs. If so, get 'er warmed up good and re-adjust all.

Allan
y its bakcfiring is because you have to much back pressure from the valves bein held wide open
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

That was it brother. I loosened those lifters and she fired right up. I sure am grateful for your help. Now I'm going out to readjust those lifters. thanks a bunch.