Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

wicked shudder at 1400-1800 rpm

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wicked shudder at 1400-1800 rpm

Hey all, I have a 2000 silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L Vortec/Auto tranny. I have been noticing (you can't miss it!!!) a wicked shudder that seems to happen at between 1400-1800 rpm. It happens in Drive, but when I down shift to 3rd, it instantly goes away. It also goes away when I let off the gas when in drive.

Any ideas? Nothing comes up code wise when I took it to the mechanic I use, and Chevy says "change my tranny oil/filter with a flush, it will fix the problem". I do this every other engine oil change, and have been doing this with every vehicle I have ever owned. Needless to say, the problem didn't go away.

Thanks for any help.

Fisher
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Vibration/shudder at 1500 to 1800 rpm 50-55mph

I'm having the same issue. It feels like going over the road strips that are the shoulder of the highway lanes. I have a 2005 Suburban LT Autoride with 98K miles on it. If I hard accelerate through 1500 and up to about 60mph, I get no shudder. It's only when I start to coast and try to maintain 55-60 that I get a loud "rumble strips" feel mostly in the passenger side. Once I accelerate, it goes away. If I take my foot off the gas, it goes away. I'm just a girl and am dreading going into the shop with this issue and being taken for a fool and having my wallet emptied! I have tried turning off Stabilitrak, the problem is not as pronounced. All of the vehicles vitals are good. Have read elsewhere that it might be the TCC solenoid? or the 1st to 2nd gear shifting solenoid.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> alxadn,

This issue may be caused by water in the transmission. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. It can be difficult to diagnose some vehicle issues over the internet. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:50 PM
CF Senior Member

i have a 99 z71 and my truck shifts at about 1500 or a little lower if im just barely on the gas. If i do just a regular acceleration it shifts at about 1900 and ofcourse if stomped then 5300 or so. The reason i say this is because the rpms yall are saying that is giving you the shudder is right at the shift points and it goes away when either accelerating or letting off. This sounds like the gear solenoids are jamming up and its trying to get it into the next gear by giving you the shudder. So, i would say for northidahofisher this sounds like your problem. I am no transmission mechanic by any means but that is just my thought for you and hopefully helps you out some.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:54 PM
CF Senior Member

For alaxdn i don't think it would be your 1st or 2nd gear because of the 55-60 mph range. You wouldn't go that fast unless you were on the floor. I think your problem is either its slipping in 4th or just like northidahofisher your overdrive is jamming up and its shuddering trying to get into overdrive. Once again i tell you both this just to maybe narrow your search down to the problem. If someone else's sees something wrong with what I am telling these guys please correct it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tahoe Shudder 45 to 50

Im having the same issue with my 2007 tahoe. I have a shudder at about 45 to 55 mph and low rpms 1400 to 1800 when I apply very little gas enough to keep it moving at that speed. I had anti sgutter put in and it appears to stop for a while but came back. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was a clogged fuel injector and my transmission checked out ok. Ive also been told it may be the TCC solenoids or torque converter. I had it tuned up the O2 sendor replaced oil chage and transmission service with filter replacement. Its still shudder just not as bad its still there. Bottom line is no one really knows its a mystery problems. I can accelarate through it by increasing my speed or downshifting. The transmission pulls fine no slips. I put seafoam in it a fuel system cleaner and ran 93 octane still I can feel it. Ive read some other post and one guy said the dealer told him it was in the tires and changed them and it stopped. my tires are 700 dollars and brand new. I just had them checked rotated balanced and aligned. Still I feel it even though its not as bad as it was it still there a little. I have bascially given up and will drive it till if falls apart or stops working. Let me know if you guys had any luck!
JDB
Old August 25th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default shuddering

I took my Suburban into the dealership and was told it "might" have a bad torque converter. Of course the vehicle is out of warranty (time) and they said I needed a new transmission. 3000 bucks later, it drives better although I can swear to feeling it come back on very sporadically. Might be my imagination. Might be the sound of my empty wallet. The transmission is not rebuilt but new now with a 36,000/3yr warranty. I am selling this car and getting a Toyota. Good luck to all the other owners out there! just a side note: I heard a BG transmission flush might have extended the life of it.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> alxadn,

This issue may be caused by water in the transmission. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. It can be difficult to diagnose some vehicle issues over the internet. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Hi GM,

I had my transmission replaced, not rebuilt, by my Chevy dealership last year. I currently have a a Service 4WD and vibration issues; not like the violent shudder from before. The code pulled is C0306. My 3 year/36,00 warranty is still valid but is the 4WD part of the transmission overhaul? Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2022, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by northidahofisher
Hey all, I have a 2000 silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L Vortec/Auto tranny. I have been noticing (you can't miss it!!!) a wicked shudder that seems to happen at between 1400-1800 rpm. It happens in Drive, but when I down shift to 3rd, it instantly goes away. It also goes away when I let off the gas when in drive.

Any ideas? Nothing comes up code wise when I took it to the mechanic I use, and Chevy says "change my tranny oil/filter with a flush, it will fix the problem". I do this every other engine oil change, and have been doing this with every vehicle I have ever owned. Needless to say, the problem didn't go away.

Thanks for any help.

Fisher
Hello,

I have the exact same problem. Were you able to figure out the cause?
Old October 31st, 2022, 6:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be interested to learn from all those having these tranny problems

1/ what the mileage was when 1st the problem appeared, and

2/ whether the vehicle had had the recommended 60K mile transmission fluid change and service. ?

in my foolish youth (many many years ago) I ruined my beloved beat up old westfalia vw camper by burning up its trans by not having recommended trans service done.