Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2007, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Noise

2007 Siverado Crew Cab at highway speed has alot of wind noise or rattling coming from around the windshield area. Any thoughts?
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Wind Noise

Do you have a hood protector/bug deflector? If so, the noise might possibly be the weatherstripping that runs down the side of the windshield. Is it a NBS or the "classic"?
Old October 28th, 2007, 4:33 AM
CF Beginner

I changed my wiper blades, I noticed at high speeds they would be moving ever so slightly and it sounded like something was hitting the windsheild mainly when there was a crose wind.
Old October 28th, 2007, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

On my '07 NBS, I raised the hood for a little extra clearence when putting on the bug deflector, boy did that create some wind noise. Lowered the hood back down, end of wind noise.

Older trucks, it could be the weatherstripping around the windshield, along the sides, but mostly along the top flapping in the wind, but sitting flat when stopped
Old October 28th, 2007, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

If you have a bug deflector, that is what is making the noise. Apparently the deflector redirects the airflow over the hood and it hits the windshield near the wipers and makes a ratteling sound like loose windshield trim. I experienced this with my NBS 2007 silverado. After taking the deflector off the truck the problem was solved. My shield is an AVS Buglector II. I don`t know if there are other brands that eliminate this noise. These new trucks must be very sensitive to how the airflow goes over the hood.
Old October 29th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Look, I have a 2007 Silverado ext. cab (new bodystyle) and I hear a lot of wind noise. I don't have a bug deflector shield. I think it is in the design. Not too impressed by this.

Have another wind noise problem as well, that sounds like a sharp whistle, that only occurs when I put the air on 'circulate', even without the fan being on. The outside air/wind comes in through some gaps or something and makes a high pitched whistling noise. Dealership didn't do anything about this last time I went in. Don't let them get away with it, I'm going over there until they fix it or give me a new truck.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

As far as the wind noise goes . . . . I just took my NBS to the dealership for the wind noise and the rattling from around the windshield. The shop foreman rode with me so I could let him see firsthand. He explained the rattling was actually coming from the side weather stripping being a little loose but it's an easywarranty fix . . . .it's re-installedusing some 2-sided 3M type stuff and it cures the rattle. The wind noise however, wasfrom the change in airflow over the windshield from the bug deflector and he offered no fix for that except remove the bug deflector. I'm notsure I buy that 100% because there shouldn't be anywind noise coming through my wind shield for any reason. I can't honestly say I noticed the wind noise before the deflector was on but I didn't notice it on every trip either. There might actually besomething to that cross wind theory mentioned earlier. But the dealership did fix the rattle.
Old November 5th, 2007, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Trouba, I'm in the same boat as you. I read about this window noise prior to buying it, and now I hear it even more...

I've got another problem I think I need to deal with, I kinda hear a pinging noise coming from the tranny (beacuse it only sounds off when I'm going speeding up or slowing down; no more quiet *** ride)

I also have a 07 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab
Old November 5th, 2007, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

I put a bug delfector on my '00 when it was new and immediately got this flapping noise. Instead of spending the day either at the dealership or w/o a ride, I just bought a $3 tube of clear silicone and glued the weatherstriping down. No noises since...
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I too had wind noise when I installed a bug deflector on my 07 NBS, removed it and no noise. I have a 2000 Suburban with a deflector and do not have any noise from it.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise