Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Wipers acting stupid, 1994 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers acting stupid, 1994 Silverado

Hello fellow Chevy peeps. I have a 1994 Silverado with a 5.7. I recently started having a issue with the wipers. They would work when I didnt need them, but fail when I really needed them. I am thinking its a wiring issue but I cant find anything damaged. I checked all my fuse's and even replaced the wiper motor. Still has the same issue. So the scenario goes like this: I am driving along and I need to turn my wipers on. Well instead of them coming on the brake light on the instrument cluster come's on and kinda flicker's at me. If I am idling and I turn on the wiper's it kinda makes the engine chugg.. Like it wants to die, but then immediately return's to normal. The truck has a new brake switch also. Problem existed before the brake switch. I appreciate you guys. Thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 7:53 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a stab in the dark, but might want to remove the steering column shroud and check for any worn/shorted wiring....
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, I will check the wiring some more. I am also thinking of hard wiring some switch's in the dash to the wiper motor so I wont have this problem. But it would be nice to get the wipers to work. I found a lot of info about this year model truck having this issue. And either replacing the relay board, or the entire motor fixed the problem. I replaced the entire motor and still have this issue. Doesnt make any sense to me. Anyone else have this issue?
Old July 22nd, 2013, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '93 K2500 that had some of that problem. The wiper wouldn't work sometimes and then would run by themselves. I didn't get the brake light light show though.
The switch contacts in the wiper motor were pretty worn so I replaced the board first but it made no difference. I noticed that if I even just touched the wiring harness they would start working and then stop. I too figured broken wiring right at the wiper motor so I bought a new plug from NAPA and it was still doing it.
I found the problem was the contacts where the control board plugs into the motor assem. I cleaned them and then pinched them closed with needle-nosed pliers and I haven't had the problem since.

Last edited by El Baz; July 22nd, 2013 at 9:34 AM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Had this problem w/ my 97 K1500 and dealer replaced wiper motor module as recall from chev. at no cost. No more problems since. Screg.
Old March 28th, 2014, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Wiper motor kills engine

Originally Posted by Skandalist
Hello fellow Chevy peeps. I have a 1994 Silverado with a 5.7. I recently started having a issue with the wipers. They would work when I didnt need them, but fail when I really needed them. I am thinking its a wiring issue but I cant find anything damaged. I checked all my fuse's and even replaced the wiper motor. Still has the same issue. So the scenario goes like this: I am driving along and I need to turn my wipers on. Well instead of them coming on the brake light on the instrument cluster come's on and kinda flicker's at me. If I am idling and I turn on the wiper's it kinda makes the engine chugg.. Like it wants to die, but then immediately return's to normal. The truck has a new brake switch also. Problem existed before the brake switch. I appreciate you guys. Thanks.
I have the same exact problem with my 94 Silverado. I replaced the wiper motor which came with a new board. I was playing with it tonight and besides what you described above, with the engine running, I unplugged the wiper motor and the engine died. I left it unplugged and the engine started back up, Did you get you issue resolved and if you did PLEASE tell me what the fix was. Thanks!!
Old March 29th, 2014, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

I had what sounds to be the exact same thing in my 97 z71. It was the wiper circuit board. I traced the circuit board and found where the solder was broken and touched it up, and it worked fine for about 6 months. Then it started acting crazy again and I replace it for like 20 bucks, no problems since. It was a recall, but I guess not everyone got the memo.