Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2009, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't shift out of park

I have a chevy silverado hd 2500 truck and the car will turn on, the brake lights do work, but the car will not shift out of park. When the car is off, i turn the key once and try to shift the car into neutral but again it is stuck and will not budge. I tried pushing the parking break and then releasing it and then trying the same procedures but it will just not budge. HELP!!!!
Old December 7th, 2009, 5:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year??? the shift linkage may be binding.
Old December 7th, 2009, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

The truck is a 2007.
Old December 7th, 2009, 5:49 PM
CF Veteran

I don't think that truck even has linkage. I think its like fly-by-wire. I'll check on mine once I get a chance. This may be a dumb question, but you are pressing the brake pedal when trying to shift it right?
Old December 7th, 2009, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, i am pressing the brake pedal, i was told i'm supposed to hear a click? not sure on that. I'm completely lost with this. The dealer told me i have to tow it in so they can see it and won't tell me anything because, "we could be liable for whatever we tell you, it's best to bring it in". also know as, we want to take your money. SOmeone please give me some idea. THanks in advance, anything is appreciated.
Old December 7th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Veteran

I'll take a look at mine in the morning and see if I can see anything that could go wrong. I'll post what I can find. If you find out what it is let us know for future reference.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM
CF Active Member

try this, have someone in the truck while you and 1 or 2 buddies roll the truck while the person inside tries shifting it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 2:36 PM
CF Veteran

Speedy650 has a good point. The parking pawl may be a jammed if your parked on a incline or something. It says something about that in your owners manual and how to take care of it, which is push the truck while trying to shift it.
As for the click when I got in my truck today I pressed the brake pedal, and i could hear the click from the brake pedal as soon as I pressed the pedal. And when I heard teh click I could shift even though my brakes were bot kicking in at all.

Long story short, no click, theres probably a switch behind the brake pedal thats bad.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member

neutral safety switch. had it on my 98 silverado. it was a bad brake light switch. located on the linkage of the brake pedal. how do see if it truely is this part? insert key. turn to on. not start. shift into neutral. start truck. put into gear. boom. if that worked. brake switch. dealer part recommended. i used every part in advanced. bad parts. i buy dealer item. perfect working piece. try it.
Old December 10th, 2009, 2:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the replies, I have tried all of your suggestions and it still won't budge. Very weird, my house sits on a slight incline but the car is not parked on an incline, which that's all I can really say about the incline. I disconnected the brake switch and reconnected it and still nothing, I checked and rechecked all of my fuses. The only thing left is the click part which I never really payed that much attention too but I'll keep u guys informed once I get a mechanic out to my house to take a look at it.

Quick Reply: Won't shift out of park