Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2006 Aveo - Key Stuck in Ignition

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Aveo - Key Stuck in Ignition

I went to park my car and the key will not turn all the way back and therefore I cannot take the key out. It is stuck in the ignition. I looked on the internet and found a LOT of people who had this issue with the 2005 model. Someone suggested a makeshift idea about pulling out a fuse for the clock/radio. I didn't want to do this so I called the dealer. However, they weren't able to see the car for awhile and gave no indication of what to do. Since I have to park my car on the street I am really apprehensive about leaving the key in it. Not happy about not knowing what to do, I pulled the fuse and the key came out but I can't drive the car with the fuse out.
Should this have been fixed with the 2006 model? Did the dealer know that there was a temporary solution since they can't fit me in? Is this common or is it just my car???
Super Frustrated
Old January 11th, 2011, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Frustration Continues

So just wanted to give an update if anyone is reading this. Turns out a key stuck in the ignition is an indication that the entire shifter needs to be replaced. Which again is apparently quite common with the 2005 models. Since we payed for extended warranty we figured that a shifter would apply but we didn't get the plus plus warranty or whatever it's called and a shifter is not covered because it is an electrical component.I do believe there was a bit of confusion over this when we bought the car - the sales rep told us that since we don't have power locks or windows we didn't that warranty. So now we had to pay $100.00 for the assessment (again warranty doesn't cover that because it doesn't cover the shifter). And about $400.00 for the repair if they can get the part in in about 2 weeks. So the frustration continues.... not too happy with Chevy especially about the extended warranty issue.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2xs the frustration

I am having the same problem with my 2006 chevy aveo. I feel like it was a cheap design and I should not have to pay for this type of ridiculous design; all the aveo's honestly need a recall. It started when the shift got stuck and I used the manual to figure out how to use the shift lock release and now my key is completely stuck inside my ignition. The Chevy Aveo...don't even consider purchasing. It is crap.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

The dealer also told me once that the extended warranty didn't cover the fuse box on my Trailblazer. I called Chevrolet and they said it did cover it and they told the dealer to do the repair for free. Give it a try and call Chevrolet customer service and tell them how unhappy you are with the car and see what they can do to help. Maybe they do nothing but it is worth a try.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by arlesha2002
I am having the same problem with my 2006 chevy aveo. I feel like it was a cheap design and I should not have to pay for this type of ridiculous design; all the aveo's honestly need a recall. It started when the shift got stuck and I used the manual to figure out how to use the shift lock release and now my key is completely stuck inside my ignition. The Chevy Aveo...don't even consider purchasing. It is crap.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Aveo vehicle. Have you had the opportunity to take the vehicle in for an inspection?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 26th, 2012, 7:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by arlesha2002
The Chevy Aveo...don't even consider purchasing. It is crap.
Yep. Korean daiwou crap bombs with a chevy badge.
Old September 9th, 2012, 1:30 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

wish i would have read yours before buying my aveo bc im having the same issues with mine and i just brought it less than 30 days
Old February 23rd, 2015, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me too!

Originally Posted by footlocker04
wish i would have read yours before buying my aveo bc im having the same issues with mine and i just brought it less than 30 days
I am having the same problem with my key being stuck in my 2006 Chevy Aveo. Last week it wouldn't run in cold weather properly even after letting it warm up for 20 minutes, last year oil was seeping into the spark plugs....I think my Aveo is a lemon and would tell anyone thinking about getting one at any year with any price DON"T BY AN AVEO, you will regret it. Wish I had read these postings before I got mine.
Sincerely,
Duped.
Old February 26th, 2015, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Your owners manual is where I would start and make sure your car is in park to remove the key. There may be a mechanical release you can stick a screwdriver into under the seering coloum. Essentially a Daewoo, Lanos Chevy Aveo might have a shifter interlock cable that is out of adjustment or an electrical malfunction.
Old February 26th, 2015, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

or also, maybe you can return the product if we bought it differently from other dealers or just contact your car dealer itself.

have you tried looking into some online stores like auto parts warehouse for your defective product? i was a client for PG but now already taking some dealers other than them.

Last edited by holland9000; February 27th, 2015 at 8:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Aveo - Key Stuck in Ignition