Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Loud high pitched whistling noise?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud high pitched whistling noise?

Does anyone else have this problem. My 2007 Aveo makes this horrible noise when I am driving on the freeway. It seems to be worse on windy days. Sounds like it is coming from front passenger side. Only starts at speeds over 60 mph. Because I make trips back and forth to Nashville Tn to see family I find this problem very irritating!! 3 hours of squealing so loud even the radio cant drown it out. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they said "we test drove it and didnt hear it so we cant diagnose it and we cant fix it"!!! Any ideas???
Old April 3rd, 2008, 4:33 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Loud high pitched whistling noise?

Take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion. If you're hearig it everytime you drive it, then sounds like the dealer was a litle lazy and didn't road test it well enough.
Its probably a weather stripping around the door that isn't tight enough. Could probably fix it with a door latch adjustment
Old May 3rd, 2008, 1:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to describe sound on the internet but we just replaced the wheel bearings in the front of one of our work cars 06 avoe after only 56K miles, but it was more of a humming noise???
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

weather stripping is probably the problem...if not check the brakes, because if they get bad enough the will make a high pitched noise even when they aren't in use..
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

I also had to replace the wheel bearings at 60,000 miles on my 2006 Aveo. I realize that's a lot of miles for a 2006, but other Aveo owners should take note.
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I know what you're talking about. I had an 07 aveo that did the same thing. It only happened to me when I was driving 85+ though. It's not the bearings so don't go and replace your bearings pre-maturely. If it's the same thing as mine was it was a whistling coming from the passenger wheel-well. The plastic lining in mine was a little loose so it made a whistling noise when I hit high speeds. I just epoxied it down and it stopped.
Old August 15th, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rmorgan
Does anyone else have this problem. My 2007 Aveo makes this horrible noise when I am driving on the freeway. It seems to be worse on windy days. Sounds like it is coming from front passenger side. Only starts at speeds over 60 mph. Because I make trips back and forth to Nashville Tn to see family I find this problem very irritating!! 3 hours of squealing so loud even the radio cant drown it out. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they said "we test drove it and didnt hear it so we cant diagnose it and we cant fix it"!!! Any ideas???
I have an 08 aveo5 LS which also exhibits a high pitched whistling sound on the freeway, at speeds above roughly 65mph, and only on really windy days. The noise seems to happen particularly if the wind is a crosswind, not hitting the vehicle directly ahead or from directly behind. I get the noise on the drivers side, however, and the noise comes from the left rear view mirror attachment area. I suspect it to be a slight design flaw that allows wind to become turbulent between the mirror and the door at high speeds, thus creating the whistle. If I roll down my window the whistle disappears, but the road noise is unpleasant, so I usually just keep the windows up and deal with the wind noise. (I'd rather have A/C on in the AZ heat anyway.) And yes, it does get so loud that I can't hear the radio, so I usually just turn it off and try to make the most of the noisy situation.
Old December 17th, 2009, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

My 2009 Aveo, with about 1,800 miles on it did this for the first time today. Very cold out today, with gusty winds. Happened intermittently, and for the most part around 80 mph, though on occasion as low as 70 or so. Best I could figure was that it was coming from the unicorn-like OnStar antenna. Like pzsamscore, it seemed more pronounced during crosswind gusts. Freaked me out at first, because my close-to-200,000 mile truck finally died on me, and this was supposed to be the reliable, new vehicle. Glad to hear it seems like more of a nuisance than a problem.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Yes! I know exactly the noise you mean! I thought it was just me! My first 09 Wave (Pontiac version) had a horrible noise. It is definitely a wind noise, it only happens when the wind is in the right direction, sounds like its coming from the passenger side. I originally thought it was from the Onstar/satellite radio antenna or the windshield wiper, the noise does change a little when you use the wipers but it doesnt go away.
My second 09 Aveo had the same noise, but now in winter the noise is gone. I do expect it to return when the weather gets nice.
When it gets nice and the noise retunes I will find where its coming from. The autobody industry uses painters masking tape to tape over moldings, trim, and door edges and any other areas that are subject to wind noise. tape one item at a time, and then go for a drive to see if its gone. It should not be hard to find the problem area. Use Painters tape because it will not damage the paint, And do Not leave the tape on the car too long or the sun will bake it on and you will have trouble getting it off.

Old December 31st, 2009, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

I experienced the same issue with my 2007 Aveo, also at highway speeds. I took it up to the dealer to have it checked out since I was worried that it would be my engine mounts going. (I had been forced to throw my car through a rough moment to avoid an accident and I figured the engine shift would have been enough to crack a mount with the swerving I was doing.)

After the dealer visit, I found out that it had simply been the wind going through the rain guards I had added to the car because they had become partially unglued. The issue has gone away since the rain guards were re-glued by the dealership. So, in short, I'll have to vote wind with everyone else. Check weather stripping on the doors and the security of rain guards if you had that option installed on purchase or through after market.

Quick Reply: Loud high pitched whistling noise?