Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2009 Aveo Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2010, 1:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

babyseag and babybeast, if I could I would like to direct message the both of you about the issues you are encountering. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Chev Aveo ignition key problems

I too am experiencing the same issue with my Aveo and have been getting the run around with our local Chev dealership. I took my car to them last year around October when it had 34,000 miles on it and explained the problem. My warranty was still good and they promised me that if the problem continued that it was documented and would still be covered. It doesn't matter if I place my key or my husband's key into the ignition the problem was still there. They did tell me that they got a notice about the ignition problems back in November from Chevy and failed to notify me. The dealership said back in October that they thought it was the starter so they replaced that (original starter was still perfectly fine). Well hello, problem is still present! I took the car back this week (Feb 1st, 2012) so they can try and fix the ignition as well as the driver side key entry cylinder (fell into door). They said the key cylinder was not covered by warranty and that the ignition problem may not be covered as well. It is now Feb 3rd and I still have their loaner 2011 Chev Silverdo truck (which is a gas consumer) and no word on my car. Last night they said "well we are still trying to diagnoise the problem and are having difficulty-can we keep your car for another night?" This dealership and the service guy is getting me totally frustrated. My husband has a 2006 Chev Aveo and has been having issues with his hatchback latch breaking. We replaced it twice. We have been loyal Chev customers for over 30 years and don't want to have to choose different brand of car. Please enlighten this frustrated Aveo owner as to dealing with the dealership.

Last edited by LWeber; February 3rd, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 4:04 PM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> LWeber,

I am sorry to hear of the frustration with your Aveo. I would like to investigate these issues further. Could you please PM me your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, vehicle VIN number and the name of the dealer you are having the work done at, so I can proceed?

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 13th, 2013, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default recent problem getting the car to start

As of yesterday morning I was having problems getting my car to start. I thought maybe it was the battery and needed a jump start so I got my roommate to help me out and it started right up. It worked fine all day but after I got home from work I decided to hope in the car and go somewhere. Well it started having the same problem like the battery was dead. But when I tried it again it gave the clicking noise for a little bit and then started. So now I am not sure what the problem is. The problem occured again this morning and again after I fueled up. I am wondering if it is the starter now, or maybe in need of a new battery. But it seems to turn over after trying to start it for a couple of seconds with the clicking noise and humming.

The other odd thing about this situation was when I first tried unlocking the car the locks were acting up and would unlock by lock again. Then the dash light came on inside and I wasn't even inside the car yet with the key. Not really sure if this is a electrical problem or what is going one but some answers would be nice. If it is acting up by the time I leave work today I might take it to a dealership, but I don't want to pay $100 for just to run the diagnostic.

I have been pretty satisfied with the car overall but have had to turn my car in several times because of a recall item that makes driving pretty scary, especially when I am on a road trip. I wasn't expecting to have to take my car in this much with only 70,000 miles on the car.
Old June 15th, 2013, 1:39 PM
Official GM Rep

If you choose to take it to the dealership we can certainly assist you with this process. Please private message us your name, VIN, address, and the name of your GM dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

how do we replace it i need a video or plan
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

i need a video or the way to change the ignition switch on my aveo 2004
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default intermittent starting failure

My car intermittently fails to start without any noise and normal light activity. It as under 65000 km. Retries eventually ..work with quick startup. Fresh oil. Good battery. No engine codes listed. Runs fine. Very rarely it will start right up then stops as if shut off with ignition.. new plugs also installed. As low as 9.1l/100km mileage lately running well in city.. sounds exactly like others in thread.. ideas? Duno if related but lately shifter back lites need a whack to come on.. could connection in console be involved?
Old June 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

check the out put of the ignition switch . found 5 2009 aveo where ignition 1 voltage in two modules read .5 and 1.2 volts checked out put of ignition switch found low voltages. installed ignition switches in these cars people never came back 2 are in the mainland now
Old June 11th, 2014, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

remove both upper and lower steering wheel covers lower cover has 3 Phillips head screws. next turn steering wheel and you will see two more phillip head screws behind steering wheel. next pull apart covers. then look at left side you will see a green plug
that plugs into the switch install key then turn to run undo the two plhillips head screws
use a shorty screw driver to get to the switch. just make sure that the new switch matches the position of the switch you removed. Colorado truck is the same way to fix .

Quick Reply: 2009 Aveo Ignition Problem