Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2012 Chevy Sonic, Reduced Engine Light/Code 84

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2015, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 Chevy Sonic, Reduced Engine Light/Code 84

I am so frustrated with my stinking Chevy Sonic! My husband bought one shortly before we got married and it has given us nothing but problems since he got it!
The latest issue is that randomly throughout our drives, the dash will clear everything except for: code 84, reduced engine light, check engine light, and the StabiliTrak Active light. This happens multiple times every day. The lights will randomly go away and come back.
It's so dangerous because it immediately (and obviously) reduces our speed and doesn't let us accelerate like we need to, especially on the freeway.

I've been doing a little bit of research on the code. Some say its an "oil change" light but I got the oil changed and reset the light and it did not help. Some say it's a throttle body issue and the part needs to be cleaned, others say that the throttle body needs to be replaced entirely, and still others say that you should unplug the battery and plug it back in to reset everything. SO FRUSTRATING!

Does anyone know what I should do?
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Chevy Sonic, Reduced Engine Light/Code 84-image1.jpg  
Old July 16th, 2015, 5:09 AM
CF Active Member

Found some conflicting information on the internet .

One answer is vehicle speed sensor , which may ( depending on the model & year of the car ) be on the side of the transmission / deferential .

To clear the code , it was suggested to pull both cables ( + and - ) from the battery and touch the ends / battery clamps / connectors , together for a minute or two . Then replace .

God bless
Wyr
Old January 21st, 2017, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same codes on my sonic!!!

Did you guys ever figure it out? Just happened to me today. It's at the dealer but I don't trust them one bit...
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
CF Active Member

I would read the codes & then do a youtube search for those codes on a Sonic .

How many miles on the car ?

God bless
Wyr