Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2015 Sonic 1.8l Automatic - Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2016, 3:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The research I have done indicates the timing belt kit for the 1.8l is available with or without the water pump . Cost difference from $ 13 to $ 22 , depending on brand . When the time comes , I will probably buy the kit with the water pump . ( As has been indicated , the water pump is not driven by the timing belt on the 1.8l . It is driven by the Serpentine belt . )

I would probably put it aside and only replace it when it needs it .

One of the brands on the RockAuto web site is DJN Engine components . Have not heard of that brand . Anyone else ?

Gates and AC Delco are the other 2 shown . Of course , I have heard of them .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless
Old May 27th, 2016, 9:14 AM
CF Active Member

My research also indicates the 1.4 l engine uses a chain .

So far , we have a little over 15,000 miles on the engine & it has not given any problems . :-)

When it comes time to do the timing belt , I may not touch the water pump , since it is external to the timing system , driven by the serpentine belt . But it would probably be a good idea to replace the serpentine belt at that time . And to examine hoses .

God bless
Wyr
Old August 30th, 2019, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 chevy sonic no start

i have 2012 chevy soinc the motor over heated and replace the motor with a used motor with 3200 mile on it. i replace the water pump,timing belt,coil pack,the motor sat for year before i got it.motor in the car. i have fuel,spark but no compression.does cam sencers have anything to do it.what can make it not have compression.i know the motor run a year ago before it came out of the car it was in.
Old August 30th, 2019, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 chevy sonic no start

i have 2012 chevy soinc the motor over heated and replace the motor with a used motor with 3200 mile on it. i replace the water pump,timing belt,coil pack,the motor sat for year before i got it.motor in the car. i have fuel,spark but no compression.does cam sencers have anything to do it.what can make it not have compression.i know the motor run a year ago before it came out of the car it was in.
Old August 30th, 2019, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the motor was good b4 you changed the timing belt... and now you have no compression...you set the timing wrong
Old August 31st, 2019, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if the motor was good b4 you changed the timing belt... and now you have no compression...you set the timing wrong
put the belt back on the way the old one come off and set the timing marks up before chancing.
Old August 31st, 2019, 7:28 PM
Super Moderator

did you put the engine at tdc before you started? are you sure you didn't set it a tdc on the intake stroke and not the compression stroke... you have no compression after a timing belt change...and the engine was good b4 you started....the other thing that makes sense is its put together wrong.
Old September 1st, 2019, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

let me start the is over. i have a 2012 sonic that over heated real bad and lost compression,it knocked real bad,so i find a used motor with 3200 miles on it.they said they took the motor out of car a year ago and was running.it come out of a 2015 cruze. inter chance said it was the same motor both vin had a h in it for auto trans.i install a new water pump,when i did the timing belt i did sitting on the tail gate of my truck.i lock the cam in place. slide the old one off and put the new on.did not move anything.i have done timing belts like that before never had a problem.i use work for ford motor corp and was a master teck.i am just lost.
Old September 1st, 2019, 4:37 PM
Super Moderator

if it was me...I would check the timing marks and if ok pull the valve cover and make sure everything is moving. or start will a cylinder leak down test.

is crank pulley keyed to the shaft with a keyway for friction fit with the crank pulley bolt.
Old September 2nd, 2019, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect siting 1 + more years may have damaged cylinder walls with rust. If it is very rusty the engine will hard to crank and slow. If it cranks fast without compression try a wet compression test. what is the wet compression test results in each cylinder?

Quick Reply: 2015 Sonic 1.8l Automatic - Timing Belt