Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2007 Aveo - A/C Compressor Dead

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2012, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Aveo - A/C Compressor Dead

I currently own a 2007 Aveo LS with 55,000 miles. After replacing a leaky radiator, out of warranty, at 45,000 miles, my A/C compressor has bit the dust...

Mechanic shows pressure levels normal on low and high side, and compressor cycles on and off, but no cold air. After some research, the mechanic says it is likely a faulty valve in the compressor. Quote? $1400...

Anybody know if there is any sort of recall for this problem, or is it even a common problem with the Aveo?
Old August 12th, 2012, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Question 2007 aveo air conditioner

I have a 2007 Chevy aveo and my compressor stopped working at the beginning of spring. I didn't have money to fix it so I just roll the windows down. I also had to replace a radiator that busted. My new issue was that I had to jump my car off everytime I needed to go somewhere. Finally burned the battery up. Just bought a new battery and went to autozone to get the altinator Checked. Was told that it is fine BUT that they heard a grinding around the pulleys. he said that there is one pulley tht is slowing the belt down and that is preventing the altinator from being able to charge the battery fast enough, so the car is simply running off of the battery's power. I'm thinking that this may be related to the air compressor, so my question is...is there a wat to just remove the air compressor altogether. Is it possible that this would fix the problem? Any advice would be appreciated. I cannot afford to take to a mechanic.
Old August 12th, 2012, 2:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Crees
I have a 2007 Chevy aveo and my compressor stopped working at the beginning of spring. I didn't have money to fix it so I just roll the windows down. I also had to replace a radiator that busted. My new issue was that I had to jump my car off everytime I needed to go somewhere. Finally burned the battery up. Just bought a new battery and went to autozone to get the altinator Checked. Was told that it is fine BUT that they heard a grinding around the pulleys. he said that there is one pulley tht is slowing the belt down and that is preventing the altinator from being able to charge the battery fast enough, so the car is simply running off of the battery's power. I'm thinking that this may be related to the air compressor, so my question is...is there a wat to just remove the air compressor altogether. Is it possible that this would fix the problem? Any advice would be appreciated. I cannot afford to take to a mechanic.
You can replace the belt tensioner. I don't buy the alternator story, though or the compressor either. If your rpm's are 2000 or more that a/c compressor should either work, or not if there is nothing else wrong with the system.
Old June 9th, 2013, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

My 07 Aveo a/c has the same issue! I was advised to replace the expansion valve and see if that works. Can't afford it right now, but am hoping that is all it is. Did you ever figure out yours?