Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Heating Core

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2017, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating Core

Has anybody had any issues with the heating core going bad? I have a 2013 Sonic LT and when I turn on my heater I get a coolant smell and foggy windows. I'm just looking into other possible issues anybody may have had with coils, heating, or any hose issues that have given the same experiences before spending the $1500 my stealership quoted me. Thanks!
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Kind of quick for a 2013 heater core to go bad. But anything is possible. Is the coolant level going down? Do you see any wet spots or leaks?
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

There is no wetness on my carpets but my co-worker who looked at my car said my coolant level was slightly low, but nothing alarming. I am pretty sure it's safe to drive I'm just worried to turn on the heater. Unfortunately, I live in PA where it gets super cold and I have a three year old to tote to and from preschool in the morning when it is at it's coldest.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by knmjeb
Has anybody had any issues with the heating core going bad? I have a 2013 Sonic LT and when I turn on my heater I get a coolant smell and foggy windows. I'm just looking into other possible issues anybody may have had with coils, heating, or any hose issues that have given the same experiences before spending the $1500 my stealership quoted me. Thanks!
Hello knmjeb,

I can certainly recognize how frustrating unexpected vehicle concerns can be and do apologize for any inconveniences caused to you. While I understand you’re seeking opinions, please know that our team welcomes the opportunity to discuss your situation further. If interested, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old February 13th, 2017, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default 02 trailblazer I replace heater core myself

I refuse to let dealership or a shop to sock it to me on labor charges. So I do all my cars work myself . The heater core is behind my dash and it calls for u to take complete dash n steering column off to change it. I took off dash but left steering column n metal bar and a few other things because I have small hands I was able to pull out heater core n replace with new one in half day and our car back togeather . It cost me less then $50 and half days work . No more leak on carpet or smell of anti freeze.. I couldn't afford to pay $1500 for that.
Old March 4th, 2017, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

So I took it to get it fixed at my local trusty mechanic and he put it under a pressure test that basically said the heater core is fine (LUCKILY he was nice and told me that he didn't see the need to charge me all the hoopla and didn't fix it like the dealership would have). So I need to figure out why my coolant is leaking now. Yay! Not sure why it was a confirmed yes at a different shop under the same pressure test with lower pressure, but I'm hoping figuring out the leak won't be too crazy. The funny thing is the day I took it in, the windows stopped fogging and the heater blew out clean hot air (no smelly coolant). It's like the problem just fixed itself *sigh* I give up.
Old March 8th, 2017, 9:53 AM
CF Active Member

I think Sonics have a reputation of problems with the coolant thermostat . Look for leaks there .

But I am not sure that would have anything to do with the heater ?

It is good that the problem has disappeared , but do not be supprised if it comes back . Keep a close eye on the coolant level in the coolant reservoir .

God bless
Wyr