Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

New Sonic 2012 Owner, Question

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2015, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Sonic 2012 Owner, Question

Hi guys,

a month ago I bought this Sonic 2012 with manual transmission. I'm a new driver and I was used to automatic...

So yeah my question is

I have a ring lock and I was curious to see what happens if I don't use it. Well that was scary, it's just as if I hit the nitro, tire spinning and lunges forward like a freaken race car. So I wen't to look in my manual and there's nothing on this.

Is it dangerous for my car or is this some hidden feature. I thought my car was naturally slow at start up or I'm not good at shifting yet.. but this thing in reverse is EXTREME.

I'd appreciate any feedback, keep in mind, I don't know much about cars.
Thank you
Old March 22nd, 2015, 6:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what is a ring lock?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

It's a safety feature, it makes it so that if you don't pull the ring up while shifting you can't go into reverse.

http://blog.truecar.com/wp-content/u...8-shifter1.jpg

small ring under the *** needs to be pulled up as you shift, see picture.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

oh, you just made up your own word...that feature have been out for at least 15 years. If you don't use it; it inhibits shifting into reverse...so you don't miss-shift and wreck your trans... you shift into first gear. Whatever else you are describing I have no idea.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 5:00 AM
CF Beginner

That's what I was told it was called, like I said I'm no car expert but you didn't tell me the name of it either lol. What's I'm describing is that I shift into it without using it and it goes forward instead of either not letting me go into it but only when I'm close to being at a full stop. I'm saying it goes much faster and with more torque than just going to first gear.

How is it first gear, if it seems better than first gear. I dunno but anyways, thanks for the help.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hajilulung
Good question !!! I will wait for the best answer to this question because I don't know much about cars too
Why do you spam us with this link in every post?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 1:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kelphyr
That's what I was told it was called, like I said I'm no car expert but you didn't tell me the name of it either lol. What's I'm describing is that I shift into it without using it and it goes forward instead of either not letting me go into it but only when I'm close to being at a full stop. I'm saying it goes much faster and with more torque than just going to first gear.

How is it first gear, if it seems better than first gear. I dunno but anyways, thanks for the help.
What in the world are you talking about?

Are you not using your clutch?