Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevrolet Car Models > Sonic (Aveo)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil change - Location of Oil drain plug on 08 Aveo?

I acquired a 2008 Chevy Aveo5 recently. I'm just about to do an oil change on the car. I thought I knew where the oil drain plug is, but when I tried to remove it I couldn't get the bolt off. So now I'm not sure that's really the oil drain plug.

I thought on the 2008 Aveo the drain plug is near the back of the engine engine on the drivers side and you need a 19mm socket. But a other posts on the web claim it is closer to the middle and that you need a Torx-45 socket.

So I'm a bit confused. It sounds like the oil drain plug changed on the 2007 or 2008 model. Can anybody clear up the confusion? If you could post a photo of the oil drain plug that would be great.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Last edited by PeterPiper; 01-24-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars, but maybe theres something to this. I can't help you though.
entertainment, rednek style.
Vote in the May TOTM Contest
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticstar87 View Post
This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars, but maybe there's something to this. I can't help you though.
Thanks. I've been changing the oil for years on my old 80's BMW 325 so naturally I figured I would do the same for the Aveo.

There must be someone out there who can tell exactly where the drain plug is on a 2008 Aveo.

I think it is the 19mm bolt hanging down towards the back of the engine on the driver's side, but I'd like to be sure before I start.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticstar87 View Post
This i the second post I've seen for this issue. I thought the other guy just shouldn't be touching cars,.
I second that. If you can not identify the oil drain plug yourself, then you should leave it alone. The $10.00 you will save by doing it yourself is not worth the thousands you could cost yourself.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAHOE View Post
I second that. If you can not identify the oil drain plug yourself, then you should leave it alone. The $10.00 you will save by doing it yourself is not worth the thousands you could cost yourself.

I intended to flush the engine first and then switch to synthetic oil.
I already bought the oil & filter. If I could get it done for $10 that would be fine with me, but I don't mind doing it myself.

I'm going to visit a Chevy dealer in the next day or two for some unrelated issues.
Maybe I can get them to print out the oil change procedure for me.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPiper View Post
Maybe I can get them to print out the oil change procedure for me.
I think they will tell you the same thing. I do not believe there is a manual that gives vehicle specific oil change procedure. At my shop the labor for a oil change is $7.80 even if you bring your own oil. You may want to call a few places.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTAHOE View Post
I think they will tell you the same thing. I do not believe there is a manual that gives vehicle specific oil change procedure. At my shop the labor for a oil change is $7.80 even if you bring your own oil. You may want to call a few places.
The oil change procedure is pretty much: 1) loosen the oil drain plug, 2) drain the oil, 3) change the filter, 4) re-fill with oil 5) take the old oil somewhere for re-cycling. But thanks, that's good advice. I think I will call and see if a shop will do it. At the same time I can ask them to show me where the drain plug is on this vehicle.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

I just looked your shop up on the off chance that you're somewhere nearby. Amazingly, you're only 25 mi away from me at the moment in Charles county, MD. That's a little far to go just to change the oil, but if I have any other issues I'll certainly look you guys up.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM
CF Beginner

Meanwhile, is there anyone out there who can tell me exactly where the oil drain plug is on the 2008 Aveo?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 AM
CF Beginner

I've tried to unscrew the most obvious bolt (19mm) hanging down on the drivers side. I was pretty sure that's the drain plug but even after multiple attempts I can' t get the thing to budge.

Can anybody out there tell me exactly where the drain plug is on a 2008 Aveo?

A pic of it would be great too.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 AM

Tags
2007, 2008, 2500, 80s, aveo, change, chevrolet, chevy, drain, forum, location, oil, plug, silverado, uplander