Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Oil change - Location of Oil drain plug on 08 Aveo?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got this from google.. hope this helps "Drive up on the ramps, and if the oil pan is clean, then the torx fitting is clearly visable. Mine too had a yellow paint marker line on it.

The location is offset to the right, kind of in the center of the driver and passanger parallel to the ground.

Crack it with a 3/8 drive rachet and T45 socket counterclockwise. You will begin to see oil."
Old January 30th, 2010, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got that from Google but it didn't help. A friend of mine changed the oil a couple of months back and I recall that he only used a 19mm wrench, not the T45 socket. It seems to me that the drain plug changed after the 2007 or 2008 model year because the filter they describe is also different. Mine uses a regular cannister filter, not the so-called 'paper' filter described in some of those other posts for earlier Aveos.

So, anybody know where the drain plug is and what it looks like on the 2008 Aveo?

Originally Posted by gotstylez
got this from google.. hope this helps "Drive up on the ramps, and if the oil pan is clean, then the torx fitting is clearly visable. Mine too had a yellow paint marker line on it.

The location is offset to the right, kind of in the center of the driver and passanger parallel to the ground.

Crack it with a 3/8 drive rachet and T45 socket counterclockwise. You will begin to see oil."
Old January 30th, 2010, 4:11 PM
CF Veteran

Take it to a shop and watch them, then you'll have no doubt about it.
Old January 30th, 2010, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
Take it to a shop and watch them, then you'll have no doubt about it.
A shop down the road wanted $17 to change the oil -- with me supplying the oil and filter. Seems a bit much to turn a bolt wait for the oil to drain & then screw in a new filter.

I was hoping one of you fine folks might be able to look under your Aveo and tell me.

On Monday I'm going to the dealer to have some things fixed under the warranty so I'll try to ask them. The problem there is that you often don't get to talk directly to the mechanics.
Old January 30th, 2010, 6:36 PM
CF Veteran

I know nothing bout the Aveo, have been googling, but no luck, i don't even know anyone with an Aveo.
Old January 31st, 2010, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I know nothing bout the Aveo, have been googling, but no luck, i don't even know anyone with an Aveo.
They seem to be not all that common except in more urban areas. I saw a lot of them when I was in Quebec a few weeks ago.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

I stopped by Goss garage in MD (who responded earlier in this thread). They were kind enough to change the oil for me at a reasonable price, give me some great advice about maintenance, and showed me exactly where the oil drain plug is.

For the record it's near the back of the engine, around the middle of the car. You need to look from the back in order to see the drain plug, which is located on the side of the oil pan. On the 2008 Aveo5 it takes a 17mm wrench.

I've read that previous model years were different and you may need a Torx 45 socket instead.

Hope this will help someone who is trying to change his/her own oil.
Old February 6th, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

I believe this is the Torx drain plug you were talking about. It is from an '09 G3 with the Ecotec 1.6L. It is a T45 and a bear to break loose the first time:
Name:  DrainPlug-1.jpg
Views: 27368
Size:  87.0 KB

Last edited by rustyG3; February 6th, 2010 at 1:12 PM.