Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Passenger Compartment Filter - How to??

Old March 11th, 2010, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Passenger Compartment Filter - How to??

I just reached 15K miles on my '05 Aveo, and the manual says I should replace my passenger compartment air filter. The service manual says it's behind the glovebox, and it says:
  1. "Open the glovebox halfway down"
  2. "Grip the glovebox by both the upper and lower sides and pull it out of it's housing".
Well, I weigh about 175 lbs, and I have gripped it and pulled it darn hard and A) it didn't go anywhere, and B) I'm feeling like if I pull any harder I'm going to break the plastic.

Any advice?
Anyone ever change the cabin filter, and have to do this?
Old March 21st, 2010, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hy Stu Segal.
If you want to change the compartment air filter, you must to pull and to bend (like accordion) the air filter.

If you don't succeed, i will try to put some picture.
Old August 15th, 2010, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cabin Filter Change Big Disappointment

I was able to find an aftermarket filter here lately. Changing it out is not as easy as they make it out to be in the manual. Yes, you do have to pull it half way down. That is a general description. There is a point where the joint opens and you will have to open it at about the halfway point a few times till you find it. Then it will come free. The cover to the filter is very delicate. I broke mine trying to replace it. Watch how it comes off carefully and replace it gently. In fact do all of that gently. My big disappointment is that the filter will not come out straight. It is too tall for the opening of the glove compartment. I ended up cutting the bottom plastic section of the glove box on the left side BETWEEN the mounting bolts. That gives at least one bolt to hold it in place as it is more appearance than function anyway.