Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Spark plug installation questions...

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Spark plug installation questions...

what is the allen size for the cover bolts (4) removal? Correct gap? Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year,model & engine size are we talking about?
Old May 31st, 2009, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

'06 aveo 5,I-4 1.6,34000 mi.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation

Hello, I am thinking about changing just the spark plugs (no wires) on my 04' Aveo myself. It has 34500 miles. I have done this before on my previous cars but not on the Chevy. Is there anything specific I should pay more attention to or is there any free repair manual for '04 Aveo where I can double check that I am doing everything right?
What spark plug brand would you recommend for my car?
I am cosidering the following spark plugs:
Autolite-the cheapest
Denso
Bosch
NGK

Thank you in advance.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Go to autozone.com you'll have to register to their site, but once you do you can go to the repair info and it will give you step by step instructions
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

shepodog25, thank you.
Old August 15th, 2009, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kanapa
Hello, I am thinking about changing just the spark plugs (no wires) on my 04' Aveo myself. It has 34500 miles. I have done this before on my previous cars but not on the Chevy. Is there anything specific I should pay more attention to or is there any free repair manual for '04 Aveo where I can double check that I am doing everything right?
What spark plug brand would you recommend for my car?
I am cosidering the following spark plugs:
Autolite-the cheapest
Denso
Bosch
NGK

Thank you in advance.
DO NOT get the autolite platinum plugs! I tried to install a new set of plugs today--at the scheduled 30K mileage replacement schedule--and they failed right out of the box. They made the motor idle horribly rough and at about 100 lower rpm, causing the electronics to try to compensate and idle higher, only to fall back down to the lower rpm after a few seconds of running properly. Since the original stock plugs were still in good working order, I re-installed them and voila! car runs perfectly smooth again. I will be taking them back to the store I got them from and demand a full refund. The stock plugs in my 08 Aveo5 are NGK plugs, and I will be purchasing a set of them as soon as I get the refund on the crappy autolites. Stick with the NGK plugs.
Old August 16th, 2009, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

pzsamscore, I did exactly what you are saying. I read somewhere (could be here in the forum) that the original spark plugs are NGK. Therefore, I bought NGK (the cheapest ones). The old ones were NGK which confirmed what I had read before I started replacing them. All I can say is that the old ones were in a great condition with no signs of improper engine misfiring or other symptoms. With the new ones, the engine works great even though it was working just fine with the old ones, I did it because it was due according to the vehicle maintenance schedule. Also, I did not measure ot adjust the gap but it seems to be the right one since the engine is working as good as before. I had hard time getting the old ones out because they all were stuck (kind of ceased) but with a more effort I was able to get them out. It is good that I had that special swivel spark plug socket/wrench with a thick rubber ring at the bottom that would pick up the spark plug and pull it out once unscrewed. Even a littlel late, thanks for the post.
Old October 16th, 2009, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

I've tried installing new plugs on my ride. But i quite screwed up with the spark plug wires. So my friend mechanic installed them instead. He used NGK plugs and it was good.

Last edited by mikeross; October 19th, 2009 at 9:16 PM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little help when replacing plugs and wires...
put a little anti seize compound on the plug threads before you install them. just enough to lightly coat the threads..

get a small tube of dielectric grease. when putting your wires back on, put about a 1/8" line from the bottom of the boot to the top. take the boot and pinch it between two fingers, and that will evenly spreed the grease in the boot..then reinstall. do this in plug end, and coil end, it will make things easier next time you have to change them..

hope this can help someone..

good luck.

Quick Reply: Spark plug installation questions...