Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2015, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jt323
I also just had the same code on my 2012 Crude. However, the light was on on my dashboard and then was gone the next day. Why did the light come on and then go off again? Does it still need to be checked? My car has roughly 31000 miles and I'm concerned it may not be under warranty.

I had the same problem. What I didn't know is that the codes get stored. So even if the light is off they should still be able to diagnose.
Old July 7th, 2015, 2:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jt323
I also just had the same code on my 2012 Crude. However, the light was on on my dashboard and then was gone the next day. Why did the light come on and then go off again? Does it still need to be checked? My car has roughly 31000 miles and I'm concerned it may not be under warranty.
Hi Jt323,

We apologize for the recent concerns with your Cruze. We would be more than happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 13th, 2015, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

My 2013 Cruze is having this issue, on and off. I really hope it is covered under Powertrain warranty. This is why I bought a brand new car, so I wouldn't have repair costs down he road for a long time. Otherwise, I really love my Cruze, and it has run very well for me so far.
Old July 13th, 2015, 1:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by happychristina
My 2013 Cruze is having this issue, on and off. I really hope it is covered under Powertrain warranty. This is why I bought a brand new car, so I wouldn't have repair costs down he road for a long time. Otherwise, I really love my Cruze, and it has run very well for me so far.
Hi Happychristina,

Glad to hear that you love your Cruze! We would be happy to look into this further for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 15th, 2015, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default p0597

My cruze is sending a code of p0597 ever sense I got my car with 32,000 miles and now has 49,000 miles and the garage won't help me with this. My fan stays on all the time even when I turn my key over. Please help me someone, I called the 800 number and got a lady that doesn't speak fluent English and she tells me it's not covered by warranty. WTH!
Old July 22nd, 2015, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem! I'm getting error code po700 which is my transmission control module and po597 which is the engine thermostat. I took it to dealership yesterday the guy was an *** and this was after calling gmc to make my complaints and having them appoint me to a dealership and set up the appointment. I'm now having to drive my car 45 mins away from home with it randomly malfunctioning. At random the engine light will come on I press on the gas and it literally barely moves. I had people behind me honking at me because the car will move so slow. My miles till empty gauge and other displays will go haywire when this happens. I took a video of it yesterday.The dude at the dealership tried to say this was "normal"... obviously not. My car has 39,000 miles I bought it haveing 9,000 on it I've owned it less than 3 years and I can't believe I'm having these issues with it! I take great care of it and get it serviced when it's due. It's unbelievable.
Old July 24th, 2015, 3:17 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by cholablade
I'm having the same problem! I'm getting error code po700 which is my transmission control module and po597 which is the engine thermostat. I took it to dealership yesterday the guy was an *** and this was after calling gmc to make my complaints and having them appoint me to a dealership and set up the appointment. I'm now having to drive my car 45 mins away from home with it randomly malfunctioning. At random the engine light will come on I press on the gas and it literally barely moves. I had people behind me honking at me because the car will move so slow. My miles till empty gauge and other displays will go haywire when this happens. I took a video of it yesterday.The dude at the dealership tried to say this was "normal"... obviously not. My car has 39,000 miles I bought it haveing 9,000 on it I've owned it less than 3 years and I can't believe I'm having these issues with it! I take great care of it and get it serviced when it's due. It's unbelievable.
Hi Cholablade,

We certainly understand how frustrating this may have been for you, and we truly apologize for the negative experience. We would be more than happy to investigate this further. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

I also have a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic with just over 60,000 mi. Recently, my engine fan started running all the time and my check engine light came on. My boyfriend got my code - P0599 - "Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High". I recently moved and have called the dealers in my area - all 45 minutes away atleast, and they cannot see me for five days, told me I have to pay for the repair and the diagnostic fees because it's not covered under warranty, without giving me a free loaner or rental while I will be out of a car for a few days. I work ten hour days and do not have time or money to deal with this problem - I have read up on this and it seems to be a big problem for cruze's and sonics - why is this not a recall? I hope this is covered under my powertrain warranty - I will not be owning another chevrolet if it is not.
Old September 19th, 2015, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy sonic thermostat problems

I am having the same problem as the rest of you. My car is only 2 years old this month. I can't believe that with this being a known problem Chevy has not recalled or corrected this. I am disappointed. The last 3 cars I've owned have been Chevy and I rave about it. My local dealership is giving me the same runaround. I have to pay for the diagnosis even though I know what the problem is and it may or may not be covered? Not happy!
Old September 20th, 2015, 9:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

no one knows what the problem is until its diagnosed. the dealership cannot throw parts at cars without diagnosis or risk charge back on warranty repairs or a come back in which the technician will not get paid.

If you are so sure this is the fault. Instruct them to install the new part with no diagnosis at your cost. that takes the dealership off the hook if it doesn't fix anything.

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)