Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat

I have 2012 Chevy sonic Lt. I just had my car in the dealership shop. They charged me for the diagnose test and the repair. Today the check engine light came back on. At this time I can't afford to get repaired again. It's the thermostat supposedly. I have plans to go out of state for Thanksgiving. I won't think I would have to pay for this problem again. My car has 43,000 miles on it.. believe my 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty is up. Not sure on my bumper to bumper warranty. Please help me out here. I'm hoping to get the car fix before going out of town. What should I do?
Old November 14th, 2016, 3:25 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tnladyvolsfan1973
I have 2012 Chevy sonic Lt. I just had my car in the dealership shop. They charged me for the diagnose test and the repair. Today the check engine light came back on. At this time I can't afford to get repaired again. It's the thermostat supposedly. I have plans to go out of state for Thanksgiving. I won't think I would have to pay for this problem again. My car has 43,000 miles on it.. believe my 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty is up. Not sure on my bumper to bumper warranty. Please help me out here. I'm hoping to get the car fix before going out of town. What should I do?
Are you able to change the thermostat yourself ?

You can go to AutoZone , Advance , O'Reilly , etc , to get the code read , to be sure .

God bless
Wyr
Old November 14th, 2016, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I don't know how to replace it myself. I don't have tools or anything to fix. Hopefully they will fix this problem and no more after this issue. Have plans to go out of state with the car for Thanksgiving.

God bless you too.
Old November 14th, 2016, 3:44 PM
CF Active Member

If I may suggest , search for a relevant YouTube video . Then buy the needed tooling . For seldom use , Harbor freight wrenches and wratchets / sockets will do . And you still have / own them after the repair is finished .

You can not learn any younger . :-)

God bless
Wyr
Old November 16th, 2016, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thermostat

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
If I may suggest , search for a relevant YouTube video . Then buy the needed tooling . For seldom use , Harbor freight wrenches and wratchets / sockets will do . And you still have / own them after the repair is finished .

You can not learn any younger . :-)

God bless
Wyr

I took my car back to the dealership tonight. They're going to look at in the morning. Supposedly there's total of six recalls on the sonic.. I talked to the GM at the dealership. He said I don't have to pay for a other diagnosis test. I got a car loaner from them. Told them I want everything to pass inspection report. I am going out of town with the car. And I don't want to get stuck in rush hour traffic if the check engine light comes on. I asked them why would the thermostat go out that quickly. Only have 43,000 miles on the sonic. Had some kind of housing replace on the car. It's connected to the engine to the air filter. Will keep you posted on what the results are.
Old November 17th, 2016, 3:23 AM
CF Active Member

My understanding is the Sonic thermostat is not just an old traditional mechanical thermostat . It has electronic / electrical functions / parts that are wired to the car's computer .

From what I read , it is a part with known problems .

It has not become a problem with my Sonic , yet .

God bless
Wyr
Old November 17th, 2016, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thermostat

I got a phone call this afternoon about what is going on with my Sonic. It was definitely the thermostat. Needed to be replaced. With the labor and part they're charging me $400. They also said I am getting close to changing the transmission fluid. That will be a other $150. Unfortunately, my bumper to bumper warranty was up. I sure hope this thermostat last me a long time. And hopefully no more check engine light crap. I told them to check from bumper to bumper before releasing the car back to me. Since I will be driving out of state for Thanksgiving. I don't want any problems. Thanks for your advice and comments. Good luck with your Sonic..
Old November 18th, 2016, 3:24 AM
CF Active Member

If it were my Sonic , I would have ordered the thermostat from RockAuto.com for $60 - $ 70 , a gallon of coolant for $ 15 . Transmission service $ 25 - $ 35 .

How many miles on the Sonic . Do not forget about the timing belt .

God bless
Wyr
Old November 18th, 2016, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thermostat

Yes, I told them to replace that as well. Thanks.. I wish I knew how to do mechanical things on cars. Unfortunately, I don't know how. Yes, I saw the part online. It won't have cost me a lot of money. If I could do, it myself. My boyfriend knows how to work on the vehicles. But, not the new ones of today unfortunately. The dealership called me just a little bit ago. They will do the belt(which I purchased a few months ago at auto parts store)& change the transmission for nothing. Since I bought the car there and I will be putting a lot of money toward the repair of the thermostat. Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and advice. Greatly appreciate it tons. God bless you... Have a good holidays and the rest of the year..

Heather
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by natalie6496
I have a 2014 Chevy Sonic, I bought this car so I wouldn't run into constant issues. My check engine light came on couple weeks ago and it turned out that I needed a new engine intake hose, this was not under warranty and I had to pay out of my pocket! My check engine light came on again yesterday and the P0597 code came out. My dealer will charge me $130 just to tell me what's wrong. Everything has been extremely inconvenient. Is it important to get the thermostat checked out? About how much does it cost?
Did you ever get covered by the warranty??? I've had the intake hose replaced as well and now I have that same code popping up. I'd have to pay the dealership $99 too to just get the diagnostic.

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)