Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Timing belt issue on 04 aveo LS

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2006, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt issue on 04 aveo LS

Well my '04 aveo just cost me 1600 dollars. The timing belt went and the values bent. Got a value job done and asked my mechanic when the maintenance on the belt was required. The owner's manual says 60,000. My car has 93,000.I did some research and California law requires timing belts to last up to 105,000 miles. It looks like GM went cheap and did not upgrade the belts. My car was checked the last time I bought it in for service and my mechanic said all my belts were fine. I am thinking about filing a class action lawsuit against GM. This could be a huge problem for aveo owners. I commute over 100 miles per day that's the reason for the high mileage.[]
Old August 31st, 2006, 7:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Timing belt issue on 04 aveo LS

Dose the owners manual specifically say timing belt? If not it is probably just the accessory belt/belts. You may want to call a dealership and ask them about the accessory belt and timing belt service intervals before you get to far into this.
Old October 8th, 2006, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

First, I HIGHLY doubt that Kalifornia can demand from the manufacturers that timing belts last 105K. There are actually few carmakers around that will allow that kind of a service interval on the belt's rubber band.

Second, don't bother with the class action. It is CLEARLY marked in the books that this belt is required to be replaced at 60k. Since you ran 93k without touching it, the fault is yours and yours alone. You paid the penalty for failing to do your maintenance on time. Some lessons just plain ol' painful.
Old October 25th, 2006, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

I just wanted to say, i dont have an aveo my my wife does, hers is also and 2004 ls, and hers went out at 53,006 miles, anyways long story short, i will now be replacing it every thirty, because the dealer did cover our damage, however next time the wont.
Old October 25th, 2006, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well, it's starting to sound like GM did not address this issue when they bought out Daewoo. For the record folks, the Daewoo Lanos, the model sold before the Kalos (and now Aveo), had issues with early TB failure. The "fix" was to replace them every 50k, instead of 60k.
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Lower control arm bushings cause creaking banging and tourqe steering in Aveo just replaced mine, required replacing lower control arms, each arm cost approx $100 from dealer and installation 45 minutes each side in my driveway first time, should be 20 miutes at dealer, then they will hit you with a $65 alighment. My bushings started to go bad at 13,000 miles replaced them at 17,000 miles. This could be serious safety issue if let to wear to long. Should be a safety recall by GM on all AVEO's can't believe they pretend not to know about it. Since the only source for the parts is GM Genuine I'd like to know how many control arms were sold or replaced under warranty. Timing belts are required to last 105,000 miles in California Emmission States ( California, New York, Mass. ) Don't know how they are geeting away with this.
Old October 16th, 2007, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,
My timing belt just went out on my 2004 aveo too. i have 71,000 mile on it. it damaged my engine so now i have a piece of junk that's only three yrs old. did you file a class action suit? i don't know what to do. my extended warranty on my car didn't cover it because i didn't have the belt replaced at 60000. ridiculous!

erin
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On a side note here, and not to disss the Aveo but it is the cheapest most basic car on the market...as with any basic car there are inherent problems, hell look at the Echo, it got so bad they changed te name to Yaris....not mkaing excuses for GM, but even Honda recommed changein their belts at 60,000 miles or 100,000 km (Canada)......its a guaranteed 1000 bill at 100km. Now I know you are all saying of 'premature' failure but dude (PHOTOG) you got 33,000 miles MORE then the recommended, so I say good car to get that far before it let go.....regular maintence will save you lots.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Add me to the list of Aveo losers. I just bought a Aveo for my son for college. The Aveo had 66,000 mi. and I bought it from Napa Nissan. They didnt have a manual so we ordered one. Unfortantly it did not show up in time. The belt blew so bad it totaled my sons engine.
Big loser in California
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, best not to go over 50k on the timing belts. seen a few of them come in with broken belts, may as well junk the car.

belt isnt too bad to replace, takes about an hour.

Quick Reply: Timing belt issue on 04 aveo LS