Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

chevy aveo stereo/wiring pinout?

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation chevy aveo stereo/wiring pinout?

recently i was installing an amplifier with the stock aveo stereo and accidentally touched the remote switch wire(orange?) on the battery wire. It instantly killed the stereo of course. then i was installing a new stereo and i can't get it to turn on, i checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. i'm wondering if the wires are messed up somewhere or if i'm dumb and can't figure out the right pinout for the stereo. i'm wondering if anyone knows the pinout or where i can find it before i end up buying a digital multimeter to figure it out. I know the stock stereo has the pinout already on it but serisously it does not match up with any standard abrevitaions, so its very complicated to understand.
Old April 29th, 2009, 5:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

what year?
Old April 30th, 2009, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
what year?

2006 hatchback. you know i just figured it out about an hour ago, and theirs an audio and clock fuse that at the bottom of fuse panel and i didn't notice it because its in its own little special holder. why is that btw if you know? But i ran into another problem. my head unit functions and everything but their is no sound. wondering why that is?
Old April 30th, 2009, 7:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

You may have an amp. In that case you'll need to find the amp signal wire and jump it with the remote wire coming from the head unit so it'll turn the amp on.
Old April 30th, 2009, 9:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

so are you using an aftermarket deck, with a 4 chanel amp running the door speakers? or an amp
sub combo?

Sounds like a speaker lead is grounded, or if you're using a channel amp, possiibly the remote wire is not turning it on
Old April 30th, 2009, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
You may have an amp. In that case you'll need to find the amp signal wire and jump it with the remote wire coming from the head unit so it'll turn the amp on.
clever, is there a standard color wire for that amp? or whats the most common colors? thank you i'm getting really pumped about using this new deck lol the stock one doesn't go to loud and i'm planning on hooking some fi subs up. ohh one more thing. for the remote wire, it's solid orange right?
Old May 5th, 2009, 9:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote wire depends on the car. If you have already installed the aftermarket radio check the back of the radio. Most of them have a fuse these days. You probably just popped that. This is a prime example of why you always disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical, or near anything electrical.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The color all depends on the car. On my Saturn it's yellow for the ignition (or remote). So you need the schematic for your car. Some cars orange is illumination and mute. There are multiple orange wires. See if you can get the schematic through your dealer. If not, wire the head unit back up (the correct way), check the fuse on the head unit itself and try the suggested below.

Second, to avoid anymore mishaps, perhaps you should try just wiring it to an ignition controlled fuse. Sunroof, radio fuse... something like that. Do not upgrade the amperage of the fuse. You will fry your interior harness and possibly the fuse holder itself. It causes wires to smoke, and in some cases fires.

Last edited by OnDaGround; May 5th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
Remote wire depends on the car. If you have already installed the aftermarket radio check the back of the radio. Most of them have a fuse these days. You probably just popped that. This is a prime example of why you always disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical, or near anything electrical.

yea i've already found the fuse for it. theirs two fuses for the radio and clock and one was all the way at the bottom of the fuse panel that i never even noticed because it was in such an odd spot and since i thought there was only one. but i got that covered, and disconnecting the battery is a good idea.
Old May 6th, 2009, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
The color all depends on the car. On my Saturn it's yellow for the ignition (or remote). So you need the schematic for your car. Some cars orange is illumination and mute. There are multiple orange wires. See if you can get the schematic through your dealer. If not, wire the head unit back up (the correct way), check the fuse on the head unit itself and try the suggested below.

Second, to avoid anymore mishaps, perhaps you should try just wiring it to an ignition controlled fuse. Sunroof, radio fuse... something like that. Do not upgrade the amperage of the fuse. You will fry your interior harness and possibly the fuse holder itself. It causes wires to smoke, and in some cases fires.

yea i just decided to stop messing with the wire colors, so i hooked the remote up to the fuse. a schematic would be nice, now since i don't know which wire is for the remote for the internal amplifier that comes stock with the car.

Quick Reply: chevy aveo stereo/wiring pinout?