Spark Originally known as the Beat, , this Daewoo Matiz based 5 door hatchback is newest to the Chevrolet lineup

Chevrolet Spark

2016 Spark Headlights etc.

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2016, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Spark Headlights etc.

Just purchased new 2016 Spark LT here in NC. Just don't understand the headlight system. Does it have daytime running lights? The Owners Manual refers to DRLs. Lights come on when the transmission is put in "Drive", but there is no "indicator" showing on the display to let me know that they are on. If I rotate the **** counter clockwise, they will go off. But no indicator if they are on or off. Indicator does show up for parking lights, fog lights, and headlights when in the appropriate position. I traded a Sonic that did have a indicator whenever the lights were on for whatever reason. Totally confused !
Old July 9th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Auto on & Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

When the light switch is in the "auto" position the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) should be on when the sensor on the top center of the dash senses that it's daytime. If you were to check in your owner's manual, it tells about the lighting system pretty clearly.
Old July 9th, 2016, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shoredweller7
When the light switch is in the "auto" position the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) should be on when the sensor on the top center of the dash senses that it's daytime. If you were to check in your owner's manual, it tells about the lighting system pretty clearly.
Sorry to disagree but, the following is a direct copy from the Owners Manual:

The DRL system makes the
headlamps come on when the
following conditions are met:
. The ignition is on.
. The exterior lamp control is in
the AUTO or parking lamp
position.
. The parking brake is released.
This indicator light in the center
stack display comes on when the
DRL system is on.

There is no "Indicator" showing in the display. I have look at my Spark as well as 3 other brand new Sparks on the dealers lot. NONE exhibit the behavior stated in the Owners Manual. The salesman, the GM and the Service Manager have no answer for the issue/question.
Old July 25th, 2016, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

For anyone that may be interested, GM/Chevrolet TAC has replied that the 2016 Chevrolet Spark, all models, does not have a daytime running light indicator. The manual was published with incorrect information.
Old July 29th, 2017, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default The manual is pretty terrible

I have a 2017 Spark. The car does have DRL's that operate as described in the manual, except for the indicator. There is a little green indicator in the gauge cluster, but it comes on whenever the headlights, not the DRL's, are on. The manual also describes a steering column lock that my car definitely does not have. I get the overall impression the team writing the manual did not have an example car to play with as they were doing so, as the manual is pretty terrible in general.
Old September 8th, 2019, 3:02 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

The operation of DRL's is based on the ambient light sensor. Which is located on the upper center of the dashboard. When the ignition is ON or engine is running & if the vehicle is in the dark area the DRL's will automatically ON. But if the sensor sense the lights or Bright area the sensor send signal to the module to turns off the DRL's. But if the DRL's still ON at all time it might the problem will be on the sensor, circuits or the module.