Spark Originally known as the Beat, , this Daewoo Matiz based 5 door hatchback is newest to the Chevrolet lineup

Chevrolet Spark

Steering is getting very tight

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering is getting very tight

Hey guys,

I've got a 2010 Chevy Spark LT 1.2 and I've been encountering a problem with the power steering. It;s becoming really tight and doesn't feel like a power steering at all. It's almost like I have a flat, steering wheel is fighting against me to turn back to its rest position. In fact I had to stop once or twice to make sure it's not a flat.

Anyone got any idea? I bought the car about 1 year and 6 months ago.

Thanks Rob
Old September 17th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome the forum
If the Spark is like my daughters Cobalt, it has electric power steering. I would check all fuses. want to check if that motor is getting power...
We learned that my daughters Cobalt had electric power steering while practicing parallel parking, the repeated sharp turning of the wheels at low speeds and or while stopped caused the motor to heat up and become less responsive and very hard to turn like the tires were indeed flat...
AFter it had a few minutes to cool off normal steering returned
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rscerr
Hey guys,

I've got a 2010 Chevy Spark LT 1.2 and I've been encountering a problem with the power steering. It;s becoming really tight and doesn't feel like a power steering at all. It's almost like I have a flat, steering wheel is fighting against me to turn back to its rest position. In fact I had to stop once or twice to make sure it's not a flat.

Anyone got any idea? I bought the car about 1 year and 6 months ago.

Thanks Rob
Hi Rob,

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum! Happy to have you as part of the Chevy community on here. I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with the power steering. If you are willing to work with a dealer, please let us know. We can help locate a nearby dealer and set up an appointment for a vehicle diagnosis. We can be contacted via private message and would need your contact information, VIN and current mileage to proceed.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 4th, 2013, 6:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the belt is good, then check the fluid level is full because you could be loosing power steering fluid, if that all checks out ok, you could have a bad rack and pinion going bad on it