Suspension & Tire Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Got sleek low-pros or gnarly mudders? Step in and let's talk about 'em!

New to lifts, general and all around help needed and appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2014, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to lifts, general and all around help needed and appreciated!

Alright, just a few months ago I bought a new 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71, Crew Cab, 4wd. I am wanting to put a lift on the truck. I am new to lifts but I've been debating about the Rough Country 3.75" or 4.75" suspension lift: any thoughts or opinions on those, or would you recommend any other kits? There are kits that include the upper control arms for a little more, are those worth the extra money? Also, what about the No2? Also, I need help with tire sizes. The truck currently has 18" rims, and "265/65R18 All-Terrain Blackwall Tires". I'm just not sure what size to go up to or that will fit. Like I said, I'm new to this, I'm sure Ivery asked some obvious questions but I'd rather know and be sure than make a mistake. I appreciate the help!

-Shaffer

Last edited by Shaffer201; July 29th, 2014 at 6:28 PM.
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 3.75" kit is a 2.5" level and 1.25" body lift, the 4.75" kit is a 3.5" kit and 1.25" body lift. That bein said the 3.5" you get from the 4.75" kit is a glorified levelin kit. That kit itself will put your lower ball joints and tie rods at extreme angles. Yes it has the new upper arms and diff drops for the cv spacers, but it neglects the other mentioned parts. Basically they'll be in a bind and you run into problems with having to replace worn parts a lot. If it were out of those two, I'd run the 3.75" kit. Is there a budget that you have? There are a few other kits I'd run over those two.

Tire size depends on if you're goin to keep those wheels. If you are then a 33 would be perfect
Old August 13th, 2014, 4:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by country_09
the 3.75" kit is a 2.5" level and 1.25" body lift, the 4.75" kit is a 3.5" kit and 1.25" body lift. That bein said the 3.5" you get from the 4.75" kit is a glorified levelin kit. That kit itself will put your lower ball joints and tie rods at extreme angles. Yes it has the new upper arms and diff drops for the cv spacers, but it neglects the other mentioned parts. Basically they'll be in a bind and you run into problems with having to replace worn parts a lot. If it were out of those two, I'd run the 3.75" kit. Is there a budget that you have? There are a few other kits I'd run over those two.

Tire size depends on if you're goin to keep those wheels. If you are then a 33 would be perfect
I have no problem with looking at other kits. I've been doing my own research on a lot of these kits and are coming to find that some people like them, but more and more people tend to have issues with the RC kits being cheap and causing other issues down the road as you mentioned. Because it is a brand new truck, I'd prefer to spend a little more and get a worth-while kit.

Originally I wasn't wanting to spend much, I had no idea what everything cost but I figured somewhere up to $600-700... HOWEVER lol, as I've come to find out, the better kits truly are quite a bit more expensive than the RC $399-599 kits. I have been looking all around, and found a couple on this site
HTML Code:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/lift-kits/suspension/chevy-gmc/4wd/1500-pickup/2014-silverado-sierra.html
I had sorta decided and convinced myself, that because of a new truck, I'd go higher, I figured maybe up to $1000 for a kit. I had seen kits like 'ReadyLift' and 'FabTech' for that price. Any opinions on the 'ReadyLift' since they all list at the same price on that site? And what about model #K1062 FT of the 'FabTech' lift?

I've sorta been thinking I'd like to stay with my 18" rims, as buying new 19-20" rims would assumingly set me back another $1000-1300, I'm guessing from prices I've seen. I've heard alot of people talk about 33" or 35" tires.

The biggest problem with trying to figure out the size of lift I want is exactly that, "trying to figure out the size I want". I see pictures online, but am afraid that the picture isn't going to truly represent the size of the lift in person. (Put it this way, I feel that a 3" lift isn't bad, however I want something that actually makes enough of a difference from the normal ride height. I would say between a 4"-6" kit would be what I'm looking for). I know there are kits out there at 4" for my price range, but do you know of any 6"? I could consider going over by one to two hundred if it opened up that range. ( After re-reading my reply, I forgot that you mentioned how a advertised kit doesn't truly give the respected and advertised lift, I did not take that into consideration while typing this. )

And if I went with a 6" lift, would it then be best to look at new rims, even though I was hoping not to have to? I know everyone says you want to fill the gap that is created when adding the lift.
Old August 13th, 2014, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheapest kits out there normally are the rough country. By no means does that make them crap though. I ran a rough country on my 01 for a good while, no complaints. If you're wantin a good budget lift, I suggest their 5" suspension lift for your truck. It's 1200 from the looks of it. And if wantin to run your stock wheels, I believe you'll be fine with it as the 2014 kits are a full drop instead of a knuckle kit. The stock 18s on probably 35s would work on the kit no problem.

Fabtech is a great lift company, a lot of it is lift height preference and how much you want to spend. Like you said, lifts aren't cheap lol. Mine I have on my truck now is a 7-9" mcgaughy lift(awesome company) and a 1.5" body lift. I only say to go with the 5" kit because you will want higher eventually. The 3.75" kit will only satisfy so long, but these newer trucks also sit up pretty good compared to the 01 and 08 I have now. So te 3.75" kit will set up nicely. It's all preference honestly.