Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help with 1998 Suburban 2500

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2012, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need help with 1998 Suburban 2500

I'm a first time poster and GMC owner. Long time cheverolet lover and owner.

I just bought a 1998 GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 with a 5.7 vortec and 140k miles last weekend from a private seller.

On the drive home were getting out on the highway and getting up to speed and we heard a loud vibrating noise and we immediately pulled to the side of the road and then the truck went dead. we saw no smoke, no oil on the ground or any kind of signs. pulled the dip stick and it had plenty of oil.

we tried to crank it again and it was like it was not getting any power. we waited about 5 minutes and tried to crank it and it was like it didnt want to turn over, like it was slow turning over.

we waited another 5 mins and it finally cranked but we had almost no oil pressure and the check engine light was one and the rpm gauge was going crazy. we decided to call a wrecker and have it towed home.

when the tow truck driver arrived he cranked it and it started right up and he drove it up on the flatbed. it sounded good with no knocking, ticking, or smoke.

last night i pulled the motor mounts and jacked the motor up and pulled the oil pan and the oil looks good but has just a tiny bit of metal dust looking stuff in it but not alot. we haven't pulled the oil pump or oil pump shaft yet.

if anybody could give any hints or advice here i would be so grateful.