Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'01 suburban, no sound from aftermarket headunit.

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 suburban, no sound from aftermarket headunit.

Okay I was installing subs for a friend that has a 2001 suburban and when we plugged in the wiring harness and all the good stuff, the headunit turned on but no sound was coming from the speakers. I didn't bother running the p.con or anything because we ended up putting in the factory head unit so he could have some music while driving.

So my question to you all, is did we get the wrong wiring harness? He has a 2001 suburban with factory sub and with onstar but NO bose system. Or is there something that I missed?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM
CF Junior Member

What components did you all have with this unit.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 981500k
What components did you all have with this unit.
What do you mean what components does the unit have?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:00 PM
CF Junior Member

sorry, Is there any special wire harness or converter box for the rca's or stereo in general or just the one wire harness for the deck and what kind of deck is it powered or slave deck
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

sorry, Is there any special wire harness or converter box for the rca's or stereo in general or just the one wire harness for the deck and what kind of deck is it powered or slave deck
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEXBT2700.../dp/B001QY1KSK

This is the headunit. It does have a wiring harness that plugs into the back of it but I bought one so it'll plug into the GM radio harness as well. Its a powered deck (IIRC).
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:14 PM
CF Junior Member

K does the vehicle have its own amp that might need to be bypassed for all the speakers not just the factory sub.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

the car does not have an aftermarket amp, no. From what I read it does have a factory one. Does that one need to be bypassed? I'm new to chevys system, sorry.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
CF Junior Member

No thats fine not all vehicles are the same. I did some looking and there are bypass wire harnesses but they were not clear on the whole bose no bose thing. The one thing I did find out is that if you want to retain the onstar you will need to buy the appropriate interface for that to work with the after market deck. Now like I said it was unclear about the bypass kit but that might be the issue as well as not have the interface for the onstar but I kinda find that to be unlikly because other people have aftermarket decks that work just fine without. But look into the bypass harness as that could be your issue and it could also be posible that the deck has lost all four channels.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

No thats fine not all vehicles are the same. I did some looking and there are bypass wire harnesses but they were not clear on the whole bose no bose thing. The one thing I did find out is that if you want to retain the onstar you will need to buy the appropriate interface for that to work with the after market deck. Now like I said it was unclear about the bypass kit but that might be the issue as well as not have the interface for the onstar but I kinda find that to be unlikly because other people have aftermarket decks that work just fine without. But look into the bypass harness as that could be your issue and it could also be posible that the deck has lost all four channels.
He's not concerned with retaining onstar. I have looked around at different wiring harnesses but they all look exactly alike the one that we have so I don't want to waste money on something we have.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:53 PM
CF Junior Member

I understand your concern. do you have any local car audio stores in your area?

Quick Reply: '01 suburban, no sound from aftermarket headunit.