Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

01 Suburban won't stay cool!

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Suburban won't stay cool!

I have an 01 Suburban that was having some A/C issues. Compressor had been replaced and lines flushed before I ever got ahold of it. It wouldn't cool (they didn't do accumulator or orifice tube). then compressor goes out (really loud almost no pressure)

I get here to my new job and they stick me on it. I want to make damn sure I get it right the first time replace compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, and the rear expansion valve (new O-rings as well). I flushed the system and noticed no restrictions as well as blowing out the rear evaporator and condensor and removed the blower motor to try and blow out the front evaporator. Everything back together with proper oil and refrigerant and cooled prefectly.

I get it back today, a week later, with the complaint of it not cooling in the heat of the day. I have no detectable leaks and it cools @58.6F in the front and 64F in the back. Ambient temp at 88F pressures are showing 290psi (high) and 54psi (low)

What could be wrong?
Old July 21st, 2014, 2:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum..
Have you been able to test it yourself in the "heat of the day" when its hot, AC's never seem to cool fast enough

How clean in the front evaporator, is there enough air moving across it, a dirty evaporator could reduce cooling...

Are the blend doors completely closing off to keep any heater core heat out or from mixing...
Old July 21st, 2014, 8:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too little or too much freon could cause that, as well as a slipping clutch
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I evacuated and recharged and nothing changed and recovered about what I put in last time. I am not sure if it is every recovery machine or just every one I have worked with but they never seem to recover the exact same that goes in. I flushed the ac machine this time and used a new batch of refrigerant. The evaporator seems to have good flow but do you know of a good way to test without really tearing into the dash?

I have yet to check the blend door aside from what it reads from my scan tool, but I will check physically when it comes back.

The compressor is brand new and not reman and doesnt seem to be having problems.

Last edited by poopy04; July 22nd, 2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: left out something